Price for adult G. pulchra?

bluebell

Arachnopeon
I saw an adult G. pulchra in store for $250 CDN. It was about 5 inches and I was told it was a female. Does this seem like a fair price for retail? (I know retail is more expensive than buying direct) She looked very healthy - plump and velvety looking. I know they are slow growers so a lot of time was put into growing her up. I was just wondering what the going rate was for adults. Thanks for any input.

Kathy

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My boyfriend is looking for this species, so I checked every online dealer listed in the reviews section of the board. Here's the list I typed out for him. I did this research about 2 weeks ago, so it should still be current. All prices are USD$$. Your $250 CDN sounds pretty reasonable for a full grown female.

GRAMMOSTOLA PULCHRA

<edit>
5-molt sling $50

<edit>
1" sling $38
$20 shipping

<edit>
1" sling $75
$5 packing
$25-$35 shipping

<edit>
1" sling $50
$8-$35 shipping

<edit>
2"-2.5" M juvi $85
2"-2.5" juvi $105
$30 shipping

<edit>
2.5" juvi $85
$25 shipping

<edit>
1.5" sling $65
in Canada

<edit>
3/4" sling $50
1" sling $75
$21 shipping

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
250CDN does not sound bad for a 5-6 inch female. But you could get 10 or more slings for that. Hunt around there are places that you get them for cheap. Hunt for Reptile shows, or exotic animal shows. There is the other way but you never heard it from me.

thedarkfinder

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I pulled all of that information out of links that I followed from this very site. Is that really illegal? I have no affiliation with any of the dealers listed. I'm just trying to help out another member.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Amanda said:
I pulled all of that information out of links that I followed from this very site. Is that really illegal? I have no affiliation with any of the dealers listed. I'm just trying to help out another member.
Yes, You can pm the list to her, but you can not post dealer, price, and size. It would turn into a free-for-all if very one did. evey time a person posted "I want this t." People would start biding for their cash. IF you want to share a list just pm it. If you want to share with everyone. Then post PM me for list.
thedarkfinder

bluebell

Arachnopeon
G. pulchra price

Thanks for the input everyone. I was thinking of getting a sling, but then I came across this one and it's sooo gorgeous! I'll have to think it over some more.

Amanda, thanks for the list. (I didn't know we weren't supposed to that kind of stuff either, but I understand why now) Thanks again :)

Kathy

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's probably not too bad, though I don't know the exact exchange rate between U.S. and Canadian $'s. My only concern is that it is actually a real female. I would ask to get ventral pics before purchasing and post on here to be sexed. So many pet stores call anything a female because they know it sells better. And I find it unusual that an adult of this species would turn up in a pet shop when they are so desired. I would be a little concerned that someone found out they had a male and figured they'd push it off on the pet shop and get some money out of it before it matured and then the pet shop either knowingly or unknowingly turns around and tries to sell it as a female. Maybe I'm just super suspicious (okay, yeah, I know I am), but I would want to be sure before putting out that kinda money on a pet store T. You could get a P. metallica for that! :D

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd say that would be a reasonable price to pay for an adult female G. pulchra,since I've seen 'em go for higher here in the US. Adult females of this species are getting harder and harder to find. Sure, you can get a bunch of 'slings for that price, but keep in mind that Grammostolas are usually slow growers, and unless you've got the patience to wait until that tiny 'sling grows into an adult, I'd get the adult. Just be sure to get a guarantee that it IS a female.

pitbulllady

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Where abouts are you in BC? I've never seen G. pulchra sold in a pet store, just curious what store you saw it in?

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
pitbulllady said:
Sure, you can get a bunch of 'slings for that price, but keep in mind that Grammostolas are usually slow growers, and unless you've got the patience to wait until that tiny 'sling grows into an adult, I'd get the adult. Just be sure to get a guarantee that it IS a female.

pitbulllady
I concur. A lot of years go into raising a mature female of this species. In the three years since my '03 vintage slings were born, the biggest are still less than 2".

The last mature females I remember seeing for sale were at least $175 here in the US. That was via the internet, and their price seems fairly comparable to the price you mention, since that tarantula is in a pet store where 1) you don't have to pay shipping and 2) you can examine it before buying.

It's a steep price, admittedly.

But G. pulchra are so worth it :)

(Some people might think I ought to put "IMO" after that last sentence. But there cannot be any other opinion on this issue--among right-minded people, at least!)

Joy

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you really want the G pulchra, than go for it. Just shop around online and compare the prices. It is indeed a fact that a lot of time and patience is invested in raising a G pulchra as they are very very slow growing.
mindutopia said:
So many pet stores call anything a female because they know it sells better. And I find it unusual that an adult of this species would turn up in a pet shop when they are so desired.
Do be mindful of this. Also, in most cases the staff at the pet shop will no little to nothing about their tarantulas. In fact they will insist that what they "know" is fact. IMO it is better to go with a reputable dealer than the LPS.