Prevenom article in Chemical & Engineering News

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/topstory/8104/8104notw5.html

stumbled across this short article on prevenom which uses high doses of potassium and in some cases potassium blockers to work it's magic. It's different than the neurotoxins people are more familiar with. Says that a sting from a species with a high potassium potency is a lot more painful than one from regular venom.

happy reading :)

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have read something like that before. Very interesting subject. i wonder if all scorpions have this quality. It is like a scorpion has to make a conscious decision for what venom he has to use, wich is a sign of some sort of intelligence.

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi the original publication was discussed in depth a while back, if you do a search for prevenoms you'll find it.

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
fusion121 said:
Hi the original publication was discussed in depth a while back, if you do a search for prevenoms you'll find it.
I know. this discussion was not so long ago.

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cool stuff. Wish they explained HOW the scorp can control which it is releasing. I wonder how it decides which to release? Also, I noticed the people don't spell check their articles...sloppy bastards.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
fusion121 said:
thanks...must've been before i started reading the scorpion forum on a regular basis. and i thought i had found something fresh lol