preps for new Ts

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok this maybe kinda late , but Im getting a Mexican RedKnee , a Green Bottle Blue and a Curly Hair . What type of enclosures/substrate do I need? I figured they were all semi-burrowers and the Green Bottle drier conditions. Is this a good start? til I get my 4$ fireleg from Rugby Dave :p

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
are they slings? from what I hear the brachys are really tough guys that can tolerate about anything. and the GBB is very moisture sensitive supposivly even as slings they need to be kept on the drier side. and as adults they need bone dry conditions. and im not sure but I think the curly hair is around the same as a rose hair

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Umm 1.5 " on the GBB and RedKnee and 3" on the Curly .. hope this helps

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi

Hi

My small GBB ( I have a 4 inch one as well) that's about 2 inches ( it was about 1/2 inch when I got it) I've kept it "bonedry", and just kept a waterdish filled up and I've misted the side of the cage like 2 times a week during "s'ling-age" and it has done molts oki doki , so I guess the enviroment has been fine for it.
When it comes to eating there is no "bottom", it takes big crickets without problem..:)

Last edited:

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok the only one I think will be tricky is the GBB I think it would be hard to balance the moisture a sling needs and the fact that too much moisture could kill it I'd say someone that owns one would be more helpfull

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well, with the 3" curly hair you can actually put a very shallow water bowl. i like spagham moss substrate MUSHED down very flat. if you need moisture or if you don't it works very well.

not sure on the conditions/requirements of the others and so don't want to comment. ;)

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Frost,
vermiculite/peat mix on all 3. The curly will burrow some, I know alot of them do, mine does not even use it's hide, just spends it's time out in the open, the red-leg will use a hide and burrow some also. My GBB has never burrowed, it just puts up a ton of webbing.

Andy

TheSpiderHouse

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have both my GBB's on bedabeast. When I got them, they were each 1/2", and I kept them fairly humid. They both seemed to dislike the damp substrate (always on the cieling), so after a bit I began to let it dry out. They are now 1 inch and 1 1/4 inches. They seem to be doing very well with pretty dry conditions. When one is about to molt, I still raise the humidity a little though.. just to be safe. Neither one has burrowed at all since I got them. If you lean a piece of corkbark against the side of the enclosure, they will web from the substrate to the top of the corkbark, and out. One of mine webs a lot, the other doesn't web so much. At 1.5 inches, I wouldn't worry to much about keeping elevated humidity. Of course the safest thing may be to keep a medium level humidity and watch to see if the GBB seems to like it. If its constantly on the ceiling, it may be a good Idea to let it dry out a little.