Premolt?

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
On tuesday I got an A avic from a local petshop, knowing the risks that go along, but wanted to give the poor thing a better home. In this time, he has refused to eat, and has yet to web anything (I understand this could just be the avic getting comfortable in his new home). I'm thinking he could just be in premolt, there's a blad patch on his abdomen, that is quite dark. Any opinion ons that, or what else it might be/what I can do? I'm sorta worried, I know rosies go long gaps of time with out food, but is it normal for other species too? Heres a pic of the avic too, its blurry, a bit, but you can see his abdomen and the bald spot.

Last edited:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Looks like the typical abused pet store T that's for sure. But yes she does look to be in heavy premolt. Maybe in the next few weeks she will be sporting a brand new body! Oh and darkening abdomen is a great indicatior of premolt.

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Alright! Thats what I figured, no eating, dark abdomen, all that good stuff. I cant help but worry about the poor thing though! Hope she webs up and makes herself feel at home. Do they normally wait awhile before webbing? Im guessing it would probably vary from T to T..but typically, for them?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have had a few avics over the years that never really webbed other then a little while feeding and to molt and lay eggs. Plus when put in a new enclosure it sometimes takes a bit of time for them to feel comfortable and pick out a place to make a comfy new web home.

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Alright, thats also good to know, thank ya much! Wanted to make sure it wasnt a sign she was uncomfortable or anything like that. Im definitely too used to my rosie, lol

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
molt

darkening bald patch is a sign of a nearing molt, so be sure she is not bothered. T will be vibrant and renewed soon, I love molting time.