Premolt progress?

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My 3" G. pulchra has been in premolt (refusing food) for 3 months. Still has a plump abdomen.

It was out of its hide briefly for the first time in a long time last week. Today I noticed that it had placed a thin sheet of web across the front of the hide.

Progress? Anyone else notice this pattern of behavior prior to molting?

I'm tired of looking at his butt.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's normal. If you raise the humidity a bit, you might be able to trigger it to happen sooner.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A webbing mat is usually a good sign for molting. I feel your pain, my pulchras are in slow motion too.

johnjallorina

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
you can also predict if its gonna molt soon by looking ati ts colour, if its chocolaty brown than very black then i should guess very soon now.

Sterlingspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
While the webbing in is a good sign, not every food refusal is definately premoult. I'm not sure about pulchras but roseas are well known for randomly hunger striking for no apparent reason and then starting again randomly as if months hadn't gone by since their last meal.

I agree with cheetah13mo, raising the humidity a bit really does seem to trigger moults in my juvies like magic.

Pulchras are definately on my shortlist, I for one would love to see pics if you got em. :)

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just to be clear, there is no web mat, just a barrier placed across the front of the hide.

I'll try the humidity thing - thanks.

Some pics of the female I have.

She's a different issue. About a month after I got her, she decided to bulldoze her habitat. I feel she must be unsettled by something. Maybe I'll try moving her cage somewhere else.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
About a month after I got her, she decided to bulldoze her habitat. I feel she must be unsettled by something. Maybe I'll try moving her cage somewhere else.
No way, my friend. The bulldozing is a GOOD sign. :) Grammostolas in particular--not always rosea, but aureostriata and others--love to play in the dirt.