pregnant hisser escape help!

Dravensmom

Arachnosquire
A few days ago a lady gave me a few female hissers. I was holding one today and it ran off my hand onto the floor and down a hole that a water pipe goes through. I tried for hours but could not find it. I would not be overly concerned except I am at my grams. If she find out a pregnant female got loose she is going to be really upset. She lives in a double wide trailer and it is about 60 degrees under the there and really wet. There is snow on the ground so I assume it will stay under there or come in the house which is always really warm. Should I be really concerned? Will the babies be able to survive? What can I do?

blash

Arachnopeon
60 degrees is too cold for hissers to actually thrive. How can you know the hisser was pregnant? Even if it was pregnant it could take months for the larvea to hatch at 60 degrees, if at all.

Now if it came back in the trailer i assume it would be a hotter than 60 degrees-- You could lay out some poison traps but i guess you would have to tell your grandmother, then. ;)

Overall i would never be worried about hissers escaping. They need too mutch food, move too slow and breed too slow to actually establish a colony.

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It will certainly not survive well outside of the ideal conditions of their enclosure but it could stick around for quite a while. Set out a banana slice on a sticky trap if you want to kill it. Otherwise take a banana or orange slice and put it in a jar with a cloth on the outside for it to get into the jar. Coat the inside with vasoline to contain it.

Otherwise you'll just need to be patient and keep watch for it. Good luck!

Louise E. Rothstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My chilled pregnant hisser aborted her babies.
None of them moved much.
And none of them lived.

If you cannot recapture yours fairly soon her babies will die.

She does not know their danger.
But you do,now.

Would she walk onto a baited strip that has been arranged over something that she cannot climb back out of? A strip that will capsize beneath her?

-And tip her back to your hands...?

Dravensmom

Arachnosquire
Im pretty sure she is pregnant because in the evening before she got loose my son and I spent most of our time watching her push out an eggcase and suck it back in. Is this any indication of how far along a hisser is? Great idea vfox I made a bunch of the jar traps and put them in the bathroom and under the bathroom. I really hope to catch her alive because she was huge:( There are about 3 wild cats that go under there alot so they might find her first..

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's more than likely that she didn't go too far from where she escaped, I wouldn't worry about her going underneath the house...too cold. At least it's not Periplaneta americana, two hopped out of the short bin I had them in, I caught both behind my couch but boy was that a scare lol. Thy are in a tall bin now. :)

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
she won't last long. i've had hissers and discoids get loose many times. they succumb to desiccation rather quickly.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd put out some baited sticky traps. Depending on the conditions in the house she could live for a few months. The babies will almost certainly not survive.