Predators (Giant tarantula) Documentary

RoseT

Arachnosquire
Im sure most of you have seen this but wanted to share....

I remember buying this on vhs about 15 years ago. Ive been a fan of the Tarantula since and I just recently started collecting...Anyway this is an old Documentary on the T. Blondi even though they dont mention the name, and they named a pinktoe a birdeater?...And another spider they said that was not yet scientifically discovered.....maybe you guys can call it?...

http://www.factualtv.com/documentary/Tarantula

Last edited:

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would guess the need to call anything large, fuzzy and eightlegged a birdeater probably comes from them being called "birdspiders" many places in the world.

As for the "unknown species" it's a Psalmopeus, probably a P.irminia.

I love that film. Even though it's outdated, and seems to focus more on indians than spiders, it does show some great footage, like the pairing, an eggsac, catching prey and survival. I remember i got this as a christmas gift several years ago, and I watched it till the tape wore out. I watched it every night before going to sleep. It's also where I got my Avicularia addiction from. I remember seeing a tarantula with fuzzy, pink toes, and I just knew I needed to own one, some day.. I never tire of that film being posted, as it makes me so nostalgic its sickening.

And I also find it remarkable and fascinating that there is still so much to be learned about tarantulas. Although we have scientific names that are being used more broadley now, and we know more about their venompotency, it's still alot of the same basic information that can be found today.

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Birdeater or a birdspider is original name, given from the first settlers of tne new world. They named it that becouse they saw it eating a small bird. Tarantula was given later name becouse of the itallian immigrants. The word "tarantula" has been applied to several very different kinds of spider. The spider originally bearing that name is one of the wolf spiders, Lycosa tarantula, found in the region surrounding the southern Italian town of Taranto. Compared to new-world tarantulas, wolf spiders are not particularly large or hairy.