Pre-moult slings....how to tell??

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well according to my calculations....the slings i got from Holley should be ready to moult next week or so....(if they moult every 30 days).....but so far none of them have any signs of a moult coming up...no dark patches or anything...so about how soon before a moult will a sling get its dark patch on abdomen??...im used to the adult getting a dark patch as soon as several weeks or more before a moult....so are the spiderlings gonna get a dark patch and then moult the next day??
tell me what to expect people........:? :? :?

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
IME the tiniest spiderlings will only darken up a day or two before a molt and be ready to eat again only a day or two after a molt.

Gail

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
like Gail said, they don't turn dark weeks before a molt! It happens really fast at this age, they turn dark, then molt a day or two after, then start eating again in another day or two

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Get outta here, moult

I have a similar problem. I've had Peso for about 2 and a half weeks now, and he hasn't moulted yet. That is, I don't think he/she has. I haven't found any exoskeletons, but I've read that a T may destroy a moult after it has been completed. Have you ever had this happen? Do they do this often? If a T destroys/eats its moult, is it more likely to be performed by a s'ling, or adult?
I don't really think Peso has moulted, but just a little curious.
Thanks,
Paul

Arachniphile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Why so worried about a molt? This is another thing I don't get. I observe them, feed them, and water them. They will take care of the rest... really. Sit back, watch and enjoy... they know what to do and when to do it.

It also occurs to me (as many things do) that since it is such a traumatic transition for a T to complete a molt, that they will only do so when necessary and when their enviornment is appropriate for them to do so.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Kosh & Paul,
I don't remember being able to know when any of my slings were going to molt. I'll just come in and there would be a skin in the cage.

If you put a little oat meal in the tank, any live prey in there should be well fed enough to leave the T alone during a molt. Or just make sure you remove the live prey if the T does'nt eat it right away.

Ern

PS: I went to Home Depot and bought a magnifier lamp a couple weeks ago. It really helps when looking for molts, sexing, removing uneaten food items, and stuff. Its only about 20.00 bucks.

Last edited:

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Arachniphile.......i am not "worried" about the moult.....i know it is all part of a natural progression and it will all work itself out.....i just like to be as knowledgeable as possible about the care and behavior of my pets!!...whether it be my cats or my spiders or my fish.....so all i am trying to do with this post is further my knowledge...and the only time i would be worried is when and IF there were any problems DURING the actual moulting process.....
so far my only tarantula moulting experience is with adult/semi-adult tarantula(s) who show signs of an impending moult waaay in advance....so i just wanted to know what to expect from the slings!!!

Last edited:

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mr T has hit the nail on the head... there is no real definite way of seeing a molt in s'lings. You just sort of come into the room and there is a molt beside them.

Many T's have colours such that you cant look and see any dark spots or such. And they have strange habits as s'lings so its hard to look for behavioral changes.

Like everyone says... let the spider be the spider. No need to lick a Kleenex and wipe dirt off their faces like a worrysome mother.

Sit back and appreciate your spiders. Oh hell I gotta go! My versicolor is making her web... this I want to see!

Arachniphile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just keep the humidity up and fresh water to drink in thier enclosures and they should be fine. My post wasn't meant to upset you Kosh, but to perhaps have you just relax and enjoy your Ts. My Curly sling got stuck in a molt last time and I had to pull her fangs free from the moult damaging one of them. The exuvia had actually dried around her since I had allowed it to get rather dry in the enclosure thus teaching me a lesson. I hope that the crooked fang straightens out in her next molt.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Arachniphile
My Curly sling got stuck in a molt last time and I had to pull her fangs free from the moult damaging one of them. The exuvia had actually dried around her since I had allowed it to get rather dry in the enclosure thus teaching me a lesson. I hope that the crooked fang straightens out in her next molt.
Do you have a picture of that by any chance? I'd like to see the T in need of an orthodontist. I've heard others talking about the same thing, but I've yet to experience a fang problem with a molting T.

Botar

Arachniphile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't have any pics of nything over the last few months since some <expletive> stole my Sony Mavica...

I feel so naked without it..

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry to hear about that. I've got a Mavica also. I've had mine for a while, so don't look at me that way!!

Botar

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
perhaps some of you recall that I had over 40 slings that had had problems molting into their second instar.
So far, all but 21 have actually freed themselves of the exuvia. I kept them super moist, and super warm.
Of the ones left, I suspect at least half of them will molt next time sucessfully. The others I don't think have much of a chance. Only one of them had it's fangs stuck, and it died.
The others are just a leg, or the abdomen. They are all mobile (to some extent) and eating.
I am hoping that at least half of them will be ok

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Botar
Do you have a picture of that by any chance? I'd like to see the T in need of an orthodontist. I've heard others talking about the same thing, but I've yet to experience a fang problem with a molting T.

Botar
It's rare, but it happens. I've got a picture of a T. blondi in need of dentures ("Look, Ma! No fangs!") which I'd be happy to share, but haven't figured out how to post photos here yet :?

Joy

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When you are making your post, under "Your Reply" is "Attach File". You can hit "browse" and pick it from your hard drive or disk. Just make sure you don't preview your post or you'll lose the attachment. When done, just hit "Submit Reply".

Botar

PS - By any chance are you the "Joy" everyone has been looking for? If so, seems you have quite the following and I'm glad you've made it to Arachnopets.

Joy

Old Timer
Originally posted by Botar
When you are making your post, under "Your Reply" is "Attach File". You can hit "browse" and pick it from your hard drive or disk. Just make sure you don't preview your post or you'll lose the attachment. When done, just hit "Submit Reply".

Botar

Oh, so that's what I was doing wrong! Thank you for telling me about the preview thing. If all goes well, the photo should be attached to this message.

PS - By any chance are you the "Joy" everyone has been looking for? If so, seems you have quite the following and I'm glad you've made it to Arachnopets.
Yes, I think I must be! How flattering :) Thank you for the welcome. I'd have been here before but life has been keeping me very busy!

Joy

Last edited:

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
YAY

Joy is here I am so glad. I was the dude asking you about HysterocratesGigas and King Baboon enclosures.
GLad you are here.
Alonso Llerena

Joy

Old Timer
Re: YAY

Originally posted by Alonso99
Joy is here I am so glad. I was the dude asking you about HysterocratesGigas and King Baboon enclosures.
GLad you are here.
Alonso Llerena
Thanks, Alonso :)