Pre-molt and rehouse questions?

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight
Hello,

I have a 1.25inch T. albopilosum sling that is likely in premolt. It has a big abdomen. However, it has buried itself at the bottom of the substrate, with all entry points closed off with substrate. I can see it if i look through the bottom of the enclosure.

Would it be a bad idea to rehouse it now? I want to put it in a 16oz deli cup. with a cork bark hide and some leaves. All it has in its original enclosure is a water dish.

I've had it since 12-17-19 and it ate a bunch of runner nymphs. it hasn't eaten in 21 days.

If i can see it, and can easily remove substrate and not harm the sling, is it a good idea to attempt a rehouse now?

I've attached a picture.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
If i can see it, and can easily remove substrate and not harm the sling, is it a good idea to attempt a rehouse now?
How big is the current enclosure compared to the sling? You may not need to rehouse it yet.

If you are in a hurry to rehouse, it is safe to do so as long as the tarantula is not actually molting.

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight
How big is the current enclosure compared to the sling? You may not need to rehouse it yet.

If you are in a hurry to rehouse, it is safe to do so as long as the tarantula is not actually molting.
The current enclosure is about 3 inches in diameter. The new one will be about 3.5in
it's more so that I want it in the different enclosure. Just because it's set up nicer with the cork bark and what not. it would match all my other terrestrial sling enclosures. I'm guessing it would be able to stay in the enclosure for around a year depending on growth.

I just don't know when the best time to rehouse is. I wouldn't want to jeopardize the T's well being. Let me know!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I just don't know when the best time to rehouse is. I wouldn't want to jeopardize the T's well being. Let me know!
As long as it isn't in the process of molting, it's safe to go ahead and rehouse it if you want.

Once it does molt, I would not attempt to rehouse it for at least a week, as its new exoskeleton will be soft and vulnerable.

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight
As long as it isn't in the process of molting, it's safe to go ahead and rehouse it if you want.

Once it does molt, I would not attempt to rehouse it for at least a week, as its new exoskeleton will be soft and vulnerable.
Success!

cold blood

Staff member
The current enclosure is about 3 inches in diameter. The new one will be about 3.5in
it's more so that I want it in the different enclosure. Just because it's set up nicer with the cork bark and what not. it would match all my other terrestrial sling enclosures. I'm guessing it would be able to stay in the enclosure for around a year depending on growth.

Your t does not need to be rehoused.