pre-killed food for aboreals

kreuz

Arachnopeon
pre-killed food for arboreals

hello everybody!
i've read here several times that some of you feed their tarantulas thawed or canned crickets! I just wanted to know if this also works for arboreals?

Last edited:

AlainL

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hello everybody!
i've read here several times that some of you feed their tarantulas thawed or canned crickets! I just wanted to know if this also works for arboreals?
yes, just drop the cricket in the web.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yes, works fine. all slings i have take prekilled prey, and even some of the adults - not all though.

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have to disagree, prekilled has never worked for me. I just leave the cricket on the tweezer and let the T take it.

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
prekilled?

I always either head-squish or freeze anything for my slings and it seems to work great, just drop it in their web. Haven't used canned food yet, mostly using mealworms and roaches.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Pre killed has worked for my slings, but never my juvies and adults.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
prekilled worksfor me also,slings,juvies,adults just alittle patience.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
prekilled worksfor me also,slings,juvies,adults just alittle patience.
patience, fully.

if you put a body in a web and the spider hasn't eaten it in five minutes and then you take it out and call it scratch then yes, prekilleds don't work well for some arboreals... but if you keep introducing prekilleds and let the spider get hungry it should work for just about everything. i have had avics, poeci's, heteroscodra, pterinochilus (*kinda arboreal) all take prekilled.

if they don't take to prekilled quickly you might go for the live -> mangled -> prekilled -> dead conversion strategy

edit:
oh yeah! i firmly believe that predator bugs have to "learn" what kinds of things are good to eat. some are "curious" and try new things with little to no prompting, where as others will have to be starved for 4 months before they breakdown and try something new. even after you get a picky predator to eat somethign the first time it might have to ~"relearn" that it is good to eat. eventually you should be able to teach just about anything that something is good to eat.

EightLeggedFrea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have an A. geniculata sling (1 1/2 inches) and she does, in fact, snatch chopped-up pieces of adult crickets. She has, however, stopped eating. She might be in pre-molt.