'Pre-Burrows'

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey all,
I've still got questions, though they're getting less and less frequent. I'm just looking to see what people use as 'pre-burrows'. you know, the homemade stuff, and purchased stuff that your terrestrials can hang out under. what serves as your t's cave? I found some of those shaped wooden pre-burrows at a pet store, but they're too big for Peso right now. What's good to use for a s'ling? But, I'm mostly just curious to see what you all use in general.
I'm not sure if pre-burrow is the correct terminology to use, so correct me if it isn't.
Thanks all,
Paul

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I usually don't provide anything beyond substrate for spiders under 1.5" (unless they're aboreal). After that, I'll use a variety of objects, including pieces of cork bark, sections of plastic tubing, pieces of broken terra cotta flowerpots, upside down opaque plastic deli cups with holes cut in them, etc.

I would probably avoid the wooden logs sold for reptiles. Some types of wood used may be repellant or even dangerous for arthropods.

Wade

Arachniphile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't use natural (wooden) items in my enclosures for one reason... Mold. The high humidity and warm temperatures is an ideal enviornment for molds to grow. I have read where some Ts have died due to mold growing in thier booklungs. Fake plastic plants and halved clay flower pots are ideal IMHO.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Rookie
Hey all,
I've still got questions, though they're getting less and less frequent. I'm just looking to see what people use as 'pre-burrows'. you know, the homemade stuff, and purchased stuff that your terrestrials can hang out under. what serves as your t's cave? I found some of those shaped wooden pre-burrows at a pet store, but they're too big for Peso right now. What's good to use for a s'ling? But, I'm mostly just curious to see what you all use in general.
I'm not sure if pre-burrow is the correct terminology to use, so correct me if it isn't.
Thanks all,
Paul
I use or have used:

coconut halves

fake resin logs made for aquariums and reptiles (some look more realistic than others)

plastic frozen dinner dishes turned upside down with an entrance hole cut into it

foamariums with built in caves

resin reptile caves

2" square brown plastic raingutter cut to fit lengthwise in a kritter keeper with a 2" entrance hole in the top, substrate is added to the top of the raingutter, this leaves three viewing areas.....pain to clean molts, feces, etc. out of the hide
Ed

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
okay, probably quite the dumb question, but here goes: how tha heck do you manage to cut them claypots in half? i've tried to cut em and even smash em, but no luck so far.. ;) i'm supposed to say "doooh" now right? okies..doooh!

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
"pre burrows"

In response to your pre burrows post, i have a method for constructing burrows which seems to keep my terrestrials very happy. For instance with my adult female Cobalt Blue, i take a coconut half bought at a local pet shop and dig a sufficient hole. i then bury the coconut at an angle, so that everything is covered by a mound of dirt except the entrance hole. a little spagnum here and there and you have a very naturalistic little hideaway. ive also used the same method using pieces of roofing tile.

Arachniphile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I cut my clay pots in half with a coping saw that has a tile blade in it.. goes through like butter...

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have taken two rock and buried them half way in the substrate and then taken another flat one and placed it on top of those to make a shelter and my T blondi loved it.

savian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use cork bark, reptile caves,half logs and I have also dug out stuff and they made there home just in the soil.:D ;) :)

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I use, or have used:

cork bark
wine corks
1/2 plastic cups
grape wood
clay pots
and a fave for bigger slings and some of the larger terrestrials:
PVC pipe from the hardware store :)
Some of them just LOVE it

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
when i first got my first T...it had one of those half wooden logs in it....boy did that thing stink!!.....i took that out and i use a clay flower pot....i wasnt sure how to cut it in half either so i just buried it ..leaving half of it exposed...your gonna put at least 5-6 inches of substrate in there anyway so it doesnt have to be cut in half IMO......

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a G. Pulchra sling and use a 1 1/8" wide and 1 1/2" long black Vinyl Tip from True Value hardware as a hide (see link below). The spider dug around and under the tip until it established a burrow completely below it. The tip smells like rubbery plastic, and I do have concerns about its toxicity.

I use Jungle Mix, which is a good medium for burrowing. I have found that the spider will start to burrow if the substrate isn't too moist. I compensate for humidity by misting more the sides of its enclosure.

I like the vinyl tip because it doesn't support mold and it's light - so if the burrow collapses the spider won't be harmed.

But if your spider, given perfect burrowing conditions, still doesn't want to burrow - I would consider that a blessing, for then you'll be able to observe your spider more and even be able to handle it more readily when it gets older.

http://www.arachnopets.com/arachnoboards/attachment.php?s=&postid=10760

Last edited:

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
RE

since were on the topic of pre-burrows i have a question, recently within the last 24 hours i transfered my 8 inch king baboon into a large critter keeper, i put in around 6.5-7 inches of shultzs peat mix, she has;nt been eating within the last 3 weeks, so i thought maybe if i let her dig a natural burrow perhaps she would eat(just thought she might feel more comfortable), there is approxitmatly 3.5, maybe for inches from the top, she seemed fine but she webbed up the entire floor, but has'nt even made an attempt as far as i now to dig a burrow?i was wondering should i move her and create a pre-biurrow?, now shes just leaning against the glass, and i don't want to cause her any stress ya know, please any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks ---Jeff