Praying Mantis and Emps living together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
RVS said:
Some people don't desereve the right to care for animals.
It would have been one thing for you to feed the mantis to the scorpion, another for you to "experiment" with housing the two together. But you jumping from one reason to the other shows you didn't put much thought into what you were doing. If you lack simple cognitive ability, no living thing should be left in your care.
One reason, and maybe THE reason he didn't put much thought into it is probably because (but maybe not) he's not really interested in mantids that much like some other people are. Some like them, so don't really care about them. To this person, it might not warrant much thought. Mantids are plentiful here in Texas. I like them but there are so many. I saw one today on my back porch as a matter of fact. Yes, people are plentiful too. But, most people don't see the life of one mantid equal to the life of a human. I suppose that is arguable. Anything is arguable. How do we know what goes on in a mantid's nervous system! What's upsetting to people about this thread is the same thing that might upset people if someone put a penguin with a Diamondback rattlesnake. It just doesn't make sense, but then, why not if it is food and it isn't endangered? I assume that this guy eventually wanted to feed the mantis to the scorps. Mice, crickets, roaches, fish, frogs, mealworms, waxworms, earthworms, cows, chickens, dogs, squid, lettuce.... Each person has their own passion and interest. But all is food for another. The mantis just isn't that important to this guy. His own truth. One mantis. This thread turned into an issue of "principle" and personal interest. I've found everything that has been said intriguing and thought provoking. Makes you think. My respect to everyone that has commented on the thread. Keep on buggin! On a lighter note, I watched the 10 most ....something, I can't remember the title of the show. I was on a pede hunting trip and was in a motel. I don't have cable at my house but watch all the nature shows when I can. I don't watch much else. The Mantis was one of the top ten. The host said that the mantis can catch and eat birds, mice and soft-shelled turtles...... Did anybody else see that!?!?!?! Man!...softshelled turtles! Did I hear that right?! I'm picturing a foot long praying mantis. Soft-shelled turtle? Someone, please tell me they saw the same show. Oh, and those Gieko or Geico(sp?) commercials keep calling the Gecko an amphibian! Ha!

RVS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That wasn't my point. Personally I love mantises (infact exotic mantises make up most of my collection), but if someone wants to feed them to their scorpion that's fine with me. They're very common in my area as well, furthermore non-indigenous. The problem is, this person first presented the mantis as a "pet", then later argued it as a food item. I would feel the same way would it have been a cricket, a mouse, or a puppy.
I apologize if I came down a little hard, but I certainly still stand by what I posted earlier.

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
parabuthus said:
Oh God, it's back! (the thread) :eek:
I was just about to say the same thing. This is getting old. Get over it already!

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah, this thead's attracting nothing but flies and posters who haven't bothered to read the whole thing. I'd say we're done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.