"powerfeeding" for scorpions.

Div1nE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
when the term powerfeeding is used in the tarantula world, it involves feeding the tarantula more than it needs too, thus speeding up the growth process. the general consensus(sp?) is that it lowers the tarantula's life expectancy, a downside.

now, as i was looking at my little A. australis, its fat girth made me think about powerfeeding in scorpions.

would powerfeeding in scorpions have the same effect as powerfeeding in tarantulas?

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
All indications are that feeding your scorpion as much as it will eat from its early instars will speed up the time to maturity and consequently could lead to a shorter lifespan as with tarantulas.

John
];')

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, probably....I guess you can say I powerfeed mine as well. The only juveniles I have at the moment are B jacksoni and I feed them all they will eat mainly so that I can get them up to a bigger size which is easier for me to get crickets for.
I doubt power feeding is gonna take off a whole lot from their life expectency. You are talking aboout A aust. which like most Buthids don't have a long life expectancy in the first place.

Div1nE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
oh. would you have an estimated guess as to how long it would shorten the life span?

also, what is the average life span of the australis? i tried searching for it and could only find general answers.

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
For a bug, 3-5 years is quite impressive ;)

*waits for terminology correction* :)