Power-feeding question

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Would feeding 2-3 crickets a week to a 3" (17-months-old) F B. smithi be considered power-feeding? :confused:

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes. Besides, I would be suprised if you could get it to eat that much. Personally, I consider powerfeeding to be feeding more than once a week.

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wouldn't do it...they're not big eaters anyways...at least mine isn't.

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
what if it keeps eating and eating? can i let it eat as long as it keeps on eating? :confused:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The more you feed it the faster it will grow, and the faster it will die. For me and my brachys I feed alot when they are smaller till they are around the 4 inch mark then go to once a week if that for a feeding schedue. I like to feed alot when young so they are easier in general to care for. However this might mean I took of a few years of the Ts overall life span, in my opinion for a T that might live 25-30 years thats fine with me.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
no, you shouldn't feed it as long as it's eating. some species and certain individuals will feed until they are obese. this means not only a t with a shorter life span, but also a t which is more likely to injure herself and die.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The more you feed it the faster it will grow, and the faster it will die. For me and my brachys I feed alot when they are smaller till they are around the 4 inch mark then go to once a week if that for a feeding schedue. I like to feed alot when young so they are easier in general to care for. However this might mean I took of a few years of the Ts overall life span, in my opinion for a T that might live 25-30 years thats fine with me.

i totally agree and i do the same thing! especially with fast growing t's. i.e. l. parahybana, a. geniculata, t. blondi

common spider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I only feed my T's 2 to 3 crickets a week to every other week and once a month they get a nice roach as a treat.

guitarlust

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i try not to power-feed. i would like to keep my Ts as long as possible given that power-feeding leads to a shorter life-span. i'm patient, to an extent, so as to how fast they grow is not a big concern for me. it's as if i'm waiting several years for a christmas present. the wait is painful, but well worth it.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i power fed my brachy smithi when it was tiny,just to see and she is an adult now ofcourse and she's now 16 years old:D

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i power fed my brachy smithi when it was tiny,just to see and she is an adult now ofcourse and she's now 16 years old:D
by powerfeeding you mean a crick per day or 3 cricks per week?:cool:

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
by powerfeeding you mean a crick per day or 3 cricks per week?:cool:
1 crick per day,when she got to a pretty decent size i cut down the feeding,this method worked great for many different ssp. of babies i raised.

SpiderZone2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
3 crickets a week for your GBB is not power feeding. It also depends on how big they are and what they require for food. So a 3 inch T can handle at least 3 crickets a week. Power feeding is feeding more than once a week and trying to get them to eat more than you usually would feed. Like 5 or more crickets. But even then you would probably see a point where they would not touch them because they are full. If you think that is too much then cut down to 2 crickets per week.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
It's just that all the petstores around here only sell crickets in dozens, and I always end up just taking out one for my T; the others all die throughout the week. It's a big waste. :wall: Wish I had more animals to feed em to...

Libertykeeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's just that all the petstores around here only sell crickets in dozens, and I always end up just taking out one for my T; the others all die throughout the week. It's a big waste. :wall: Wish I had more animals to feed em to...
Easy solution Saddlepatch, get more Tarantulas, lol.;P