Potential New Tarantula Owner

Which Tarantula Would You Buy?

• Total voters

Bearfall

Arachnopeon
Hello all,

I am sure you see a post similar to this pretty often but I figured I would still post. I have many pets and mostly reptiles, although recently I have been watching plenty of videos on Tarantulas and decided I would like to purchase one. As the title states, this would be my first tarantula.

A breeder near me currently is selling 3 different types of tarantulas.

1) Golden Baboon - 3" (Augacephalus ezendami)

2) Indian Ornamental Tarantula - 2.5" (Poecilotheria Regalis)

3) Mexican Curly Hair Tarantula - 5" (Brachypelma Albopilosum)

I have done research on all three and may very well get one of each species :). I was wondering if any of you all have any experience with these or have them currently as pets? Feel free to give me any information you believe would be helpful, stories relating to them, or post pictures for me to check out.

Thanks for your time and I hope to hear from you all soon!

- Bear

(P.S: I posted a fun poll for you to vote on which species you would pick if you could only buy one)

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I would go with the B.albo.. It's a nice beginner Tarantula. They grow moderately fast for a brachy and eat like horses..

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I would have to agree. #3 is best suited to beginners as almost all of them have a better disposition than the other 2, their venom is less significant, they are super easy to keep, pretty much bombproof and they aint too bad on the eye too.

Happy keeping :)

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Heres a link to the Augacephalus ezendami. Stunning. That's the one I would go for, but as it's your first, you should see how defensive each sp. is, the A. ezendami is an old world species, with potent venom. In your shoes I would go for the B. albopilosum. (Curly hair).

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
B. albopilosum for sure. Wonderful T.

The other two have potent venom and super speed, so you really want to have some T experience under your belt before you get them.

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yup, I'd have to go with B. albopilosum like the others. Awesome beginners species. I have three of them, and they are fantastic spiders.

I keep the P. regalis as well (love my pokies), but they are a bit much for most beginners. As you've discovered in your research, they are fast and pack a heck of a bite. A 2.5" juvenile is about one molt away from being a handful. :) Personally, I think that experience in with reptiles and snakes is a great foundation for moving into tarantulas, but there will still be much to learn. I encourage folks to spend some time getting to understand and perfect basic tarantula husbandry with some of the more forgiving species before jumping right into the deep end with a fast Old World.

Whatever you decide, it's an amazing and addictive hobby; I'm sure you'll find yourself keeping dozens before you know it. :)

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
If I were you a B. albopilosum is what I would go for. It is best to start from the bottom and work your way up. Starting off with an OW could, and likely will be overwhelming.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Please, don't get the OWs yet. Sure, they're pretty, but their venom is strong and they are way faster than you can react.

Get some direct tarantula experience as reptile experience only transfers so far. OW are very erratic and difficult to predict.

Also, don't worry about losing out on a "good deal"; give it a few months and a few more NW species. G. pulchripes, C. cyaneopubescens, and P. cambridgei are a decent order to progress to OW.

Welcome to the forum, when in doubt, ask and post pictures!

Walker253

Arachnobaron
The B albo is a great 1st tarantula. 5" is a fun size. Get her, enjoy her. I had a regalis pretty early in my keeping. She intimidated the heck out me and she hid all the time. The A enzendami can be a pet hole, plus it's pretty quick and packs a bad bite. Wait a while, get used to the albo and move up. Not saying forever or a even a long time. But have at least a couple NW's in your collection before you venture across the pond to OW's

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
But have at least a couple NW's in your collection before you venture across the pond to OW's
Not just have them but get some experience with things like rehousing -- that's probably the most intimidating aspect of tarantula care for the faster, more defensive, more potent species.