Potential hobby setbacks

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I believe this will be an uncomfortable path to legitimacy if handled responsibly .
Seems like a path to the end of these species in the hobby to me. If you're a breeder, how many can you sell if you're limited to selling in just your state? If you're a buyer and can't find anyone in state who has any, how do you get one, legally anyway? The no interstate sales thing is just going too far.

Last edited:

AF Exotics

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This looks similar to other ESA species like the Eastern Indigo, it's a permit process,of course that means revenue to the applicable government agency. I'm hoping it follows suit,and isn't the demise of the species in the hobby.

I truly hope so. CITES listing would be better,but who know what index they would be assigned to.

pocock1899

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This looks similar to other ESA species like the Eastern Indigo, it's a permit process,of course that means revenue to the applicable government agency. I'm hoping it follows suit,and isn't the demise of the species in the hobby.

I truly hope so. CITES listing would be better,but who know what index they would be assigned to.
Permits are difficult to obtain and hold. Few, if any. hobbyists would qualify:
"For endangered species, permits may be issued for scientific research, enhancement of propagation or survival, and taking that is incidental to an otherwise lawful activity.
For threatened species, permits also may be issued for zoological, horticultural, or botanical exhibition; educational use; and special purposes consistent with the ESA.
A person may request a captive-bred wildlife registration from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service) to buy and sell within the United States live, non-native endangered or threatened animals that were captive born in the United States for enhancement of species propagation, provided the other person in the transaction is registered for the same species. A separate permit is needed to import or export such species. Captive-bred wildlife permits are not issued to keep or breed endangered or threatened animals as pets. Keeping protected species as pets is not consistent with the purposes of the ESA, which is aimed at conservation of the species and recovery of wild populations."

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
It's looking like the US congress is getting ready to gut the ESA (a bad thing, don't misunderstand me). While changes will be mostly pro big business (of course) who knows what other changes will be made.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Permits are difficult to obtain and hold. Few, if any. hobbyists would qualify:
"For endangered species, permits may be issued for scientific research, enhancement of propagation or survival, and taking that is incidental to an otherwise lawful activity.
For threatened species, permits also may be issued for zoological, horticultural, or botanical exhibition; educational use; and special purposes consistent with the ESA.
A person may request a captive-bred wildlife registration from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service) to buy and sell within the United States live, non-native endangered or threatened animals that were captive born in the United States for enhancement of species propagation, provided the other person in the transaction is registered for the same species. A separate permit is needed to import or export such species. Captive-bred wildlife permits are not issued to keep or breed endangered or threatened animals as pets. Keeping protected species as pets is not consistent with the purposes of the ESA, which is aimed at conservation of the species and recovery of wild populations."
Sounds like many species are going to end up like the Dodo bird.
Authoritarian rule never has saved a animal species and never will. Someone said a type of panther was saved by captive breeding.
SRI LANKA IS to blaim for failure to protect there wildlife and for allowing massive deforestation.
The current 6th extinction could wipe out all of mankind, deforestation and overfishing could wipe out 90% of wildlife in the next 10-20 years easily.
I’m Gunna a miss seafood and our poor pets .
Poor animals victims of corporate greed and poachers.
Too many hoops to jump through and by the way politicians have shipped so many jobs out of USA, I cant even find a job.
I hope I’m not overreacting but I’ve seen a. Court system that’s failed and politicians can now make millions while destroying the country.
A system that’s failed will end up like Ancient Rome , hope it can fix itself.

Hope they find a less destructive way to protect us from imports from other countries not from ourselves.
Man killed off mammoths and various other megafauna that survived countless Ice ages. And once enough bees are gone bye bye agricultural corporations, and food.

Last edited:

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
It's looking like the US congress is getting ready to gut the ESA (a bad thing, don't misunderstand me). While changes will be mostly pro big business (of course) who knows what other changes will be made.
I don’t think the law needs to be gutted (and it isn’t to help hobbyists, it’s being gutted because it “hurts” poor, innocent fossil fuel companies) but it would be nice if more leeway could be given to regulators. For example, special consideration could be given to species that are non-native to the US, have well-established, domestic captive-breeding programs, and which produce too many young in a single breeding attempt for a breeder to reasonably handle. In those cases, import/export would be illegal but interstate sale is legal.

nichols280

Arachnopeon
So, to get to the bottom line. If a person has CB T's that were bred from specimens native to Brazil or India and wants to be within the law, what is that person supposed to do with the T's?

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
Sell them within your state only, send them off completely for free to some other party (as long as they’re not going to sell it in kind), use them in a breeding loan, or keep them yourself.

Last edited:

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
I messaged both Jamie from Jamie's Tarantulas on Facebook and Tanya from Fear Not Tarantulas over email yesterday and they both basically said it's kinda up in the air right now but they're not currently planning on removing any of their Brazilian stock or stopping interstate sales at this time and that the T. Seladonia seems to be taking most of the heat right now. I also watched Tom Moran's podcast regarding this issue telling people not to panic yet and that the ban list seems to be limited to the T. seladonia and A. geroldi for now. Needless to say I hope everything works out fine in the end. I also heard about the ban on importation and interstate sale of the 5 Sri Lankan Pokies starting August 30th. It really sucks seeing the invert keeping hobby being attacked by misguided government regulation. I don't even own any T's or other inverts quite yet but all of this is really making me rethink getting involved in the hobby to begin with. :(

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Reading this thread and this thread - http://arachnoboards.com/threads/five-poecilotheria-species-endangered-status-and-limitations.309924 - I think there is some confusion between the T. seladonia issue and Sri Lanka poecilotheria issue. From what I understand this is basically the difference:

The T. seladonia situation is a Lacey act violation - banning importation and interstate sales, but not in state sales or ownership of these spiders.

The Sri Lanka poecilotheria situation involves the Endangered Species Act - banning all sales of these species but not ownership or transference (for free) of these species.

If I left anything important out, or made any mistakes, please feel free to correct.
I posted this in both threads

(I was informed on the other thread that intrastate sales of the pokie species is allowed, but with restrictions. This really is confusing.)

Last edited: