Postultimate molt in mature male Brachypelma sp (pics)...

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

This was a mature male Brachypelma sp. ("Honduran Rust Rump") that attempted a postultimate molt. Basically, as you can see from these pictures, this is a deathwish. I do not believe there have been any males successful in doing this (anyone heard of this happening?).

This was his exuvium. Notice how the carapace and legs are fused together, and several legs remain trapped in the exuvium (the legs are the white things sticking out of the top). His abdomen was not regenerated, and remained on his body.

And here he is. Notice he lost both pedipalps, which is common among males who attempt postultimate molts. He also lost both fangs.
Because of this, he obviously would not be able to survive on his own, so I decided to euthanize.
How did I do this.....?

No better way to put it.....Blondi chow.

...And that was the end of Mr Rust Rump and his dysfunctional internal clock.........

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Poor little fellow... he looks so pitiful. But he died an honorable death in the fangs of such a magnificently beautiful blondi!!!

kellygirl

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah, poor little guy :\
But isn't that blondi just gorgeous? She's definitely a keeper :)

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If I knew I was going to die. bleh I wouldent mind a giant spider digesting me from the inside out.

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
safetypinup,
No doubt you did the right thing!

-Brandon-

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well...look on the bright side...The female Brachypelma probably would have munched him anyway. heh.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I believe somebody on this board has a male which has survived a post ultimate molt. Is it Joy or Immortal_Sin? I believe it is one of them and there is a post about it somewhere I believe with pictures attached.

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Poor little guy. But what a magnificent blondie indeed. At least his life was given for anothers to continue. :(

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
yes, it's Joy, she has a B albopilosum that survived, I think he's close to 3 years past maturing date too!
His legs are all deformed, but his fangs are fine...hope she sees this thread!

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by JacenBeers
I believe somebody on this board has a male which has survived a post ultimate molt. Is it Joy or Immortal_Sin? I believe it is one of them and there is a post about it somewhere I believe with pictures attached.
Yep, it's Joy and she's had about three males complete a postulimate molt. All Brachypelma spp. from what I can recall too.

Steve

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello safetypinup,

Originally posted by safetypinup

...I do not believe there have been any males successful in doing this (anyone heard of this happening?).
There had been some reports about survivers on the different mailing lists and the most amazing thing: Jay Stotzky had a Poecilotheria regalis male which had two(!) post ultimate molts! See the mails he posted to the arachnid_world List (15. & 17.04.2000). Photos of this male you'll find in the book of Verdez & Cléton (2001).
  • VERDEZ, J.-M. & CLÉTON, F. (2001): Mygales - Découverte & Élevage. Bornemann - Philippe Gérard Éditions.
all the best,
Martin

www.spiderpix.com
www.dearge.de

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Originally posted by Bob the thief
If I knew I was going to die. bleh I wouldent mind a giant spider digesting me from the inside out.
If by "Giant Spider" you mean tarantulas, it would be from the outside in. :)

Scott

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Martin H.
and the most amazing thing: Jay Stotzky had a Poecilotheria regalis male which had two(!) post ultimate molts!
Martin,
That's definitely amazing! I assumed it was definitely possible for males to survive one (or even two!) postultimate molts, but had never heard of it first-hand.
As for the other Brachypelma spp., perhaps this is common w/in the genus...? I have heard of other Brachypelma spp doing this, but, until now, had not heard of one surviving for very long.
Martin--Did the male P. regalis come out with pedipalps intact? Was he able to breed after his molt(s)? I'm curious!