Post-molt GBB not eating ...

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Refusing food before a molt I can understand, but my GBB is refusing food after molting. He just won't go near it, and in fact, practically runs away from it. He should be ravenously hungry ... This has been going on for about 2 weeks already. Has this happened to any of you, and if so, any suggestions/comments? I don't mean to say I'm worried, but I am a little concerned. Thanks!

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Two of my P. metallicas do this when they molt. It gets frustrating. I keep giving them food and they keep refusing to go near it. All you can do is keep offering food and water. They'll eventually eat once they're hungry.

Be patient!!

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh, good, I'm not alone! :) Thanks. I was hoping that this is just a Tarantula-thing and not something serious.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You said it's been going on for two weeks. Does this mean two weeks from the day it molted? I assume this is what you mean. It takes adult Ts a week or two to harden and you should wait that long before you even attempt tofeed it.

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You said it's been going on for two weeks. Does this mean two weeks from the day it molted? I assume this is what you mean. It takes adult Ts a week or two to harden and you should wait that long before you even attempt tofeed it.
No. Sorry, I should have made it clear that I'm talking about 2 weeks from the the day he was all hardened up and should have had just one thing on his mind - CHOW!

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My B. smithi female doesen't eat for a month after a molt, so I wouldn't be worried about.

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My B. smithi female doesen't eat for a month after a molt, so I wouldn't be worried about.
Coolio, thanks - ... a month eh? wow ... It's just that this is so unlike my GBB, and I can't really account for the change, is why I asked. Okay, I'll do the trial and error thing and hope for the (sooner the better) best!

Kuro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my little versi has eaten ONCE since he/she molted 2 months ago..refuses and runs from his/her food...i worry for the little squirt.

my GBB is a little pig so i understand being just a smidge worried when they won't eat after a molt.

webbedone

Arachnobaron
leave em alone tarantulas shed the sucking stomache lining to when they molt and they need time for that to adjust and harden so its typical for t's not to eat for 14 days or more up to a month

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my little versi has eaten ONCE since he/she molted 2 months ago..refuses and runs from his/her food...i worry for the little squirt.

my GBB is a little pig so i understand being just a smidge worried when they won't eat after a molt.
:) As I say, I'm glad I'm not alone - let's face it, we're just a bunch of doting T-moms and dads, only wanting the best for our little ones ... :confused:

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
leave em alone tarantulas shed the sucking stomache lining to when they molt and they need time for that to adjust and harden so its typical for t's not to eat for 14 days or more up to a month
Okay, well, like I said earlier, I'll do the trial-and-error method and take it on faith that he'll chow down when he's good and ready - and meanwhile, I'll feed the excess cricks to my 'never-missed-a-meal-yet' vagans Diablo - I figure the fuller and fatter I keep him, the safer my hide will be ...

Thanks everybody! I do feel better now ... amazing what a little cyber-therapy will do!