Post Molt A.Chalcodes

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just got a pleasant surprise when I checked in on my A.Chalcodes..They look so pretty just after a molt,epecially the black...Rich:D

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They look like an Anti Chalcodes just after molt?

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A.chalcodes..desert blonde..mexican blonde..I've got a sling and it looks no where near like that..nor do the pics I've seen of larger ones..It's light colored...hence "blonde"..or is there a variation of colors I'm not aware of?..or are they dark after molting turning lighter?...still it's a good looking T you have there....peace....

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just went to Rick west's site...looks like there's a color difference in gender of A.chalcodes..females being the lighter blonde color..males the darker black like yours.Must be one of the few species with different colors among genders(diphorism??sp?)....peace..

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
Whoa!

Wasn't expecting that pic... I know there's dimorphism and all between the sexes of various species, but I'm holding out for some of the experts here to chime in. I'm not thinking A. chalcodes at all.

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the abdomen on his kinda looks all black to me though...maybe it's just me.:?

Risto

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hmmm,
I was puzzled by this one too. I know for sure the female A. chacodes are blonde and brown, not black. But I can't say for sure what the male coloration is. I have heard of other Aphonopelma sp. that are darker in color.

Have you been able to sex your T using the old molt?

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Wow! The carapace resembles a tigerrump, but of course the abdominal markings are absent. This looks nothing like any chalcodes I've seen.

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Im no expert.This critter was sold to me at a pet store as a Tuscon Blonde.The color did change a lot for the darker after the molt.I'll post this pic in the yahoo arachnids group and see what they say there.Thanks all...Rich

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
The photo on the Rick West site (of the male) doesn't look like that spider. The spider in this post has a carapace that looks coppery like a C. fasciatum and not tan/gold like the one on the Rick West site. Also the one on the Rick West site had some brown/tan coloring on the rear part of the abdomen where the spider in this post has a totally dark abdomen. Maybe just the photo, try posting another photo in better lighting at different angles. Still not convinced as A. chalcodes, although a cool spider and agree with you Pelo, there's definately more dimorphism in this species than I thought.

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just had to chime in, here....

That doesn't look like any chalcodes I've seen (male or female). Looks more like an A. hentzi male to me.
In fact....10 bucks says that's what it is :p Anyone with me? hehe.

Here ya go:

(pic from e-spiderworld gallery)

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I sent this pic to Darrin Vernier,Im sure hes well up on the Aphonopelmas.ill let you all know aht he has to say..Thanks everyone....Rich....Im very surprised by the vast color change,and size change in this molt.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'd say definitely A. hentzi.

Nature teaches beasts to know their friends.
Coriolanus. Act ii. Sc. 1

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A. hentzi or possibly even A. anax. I had an anax mature a while back that also mirrored your pic.
Aphono's do usually have some pretty extreme dimorphism when males mature.

Any pics from before the molt? That could help a lot.

Good luck w/ a positive id! :)

Atrax

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Now that pic says it all.Obviously it is an A.chalcodes.Has the right colors of a young A.chalcodes(male or female) before molting/maturing.Looks like mine also.The dramatic color change after molting is that it is a male.Males are of a different color in the A.chalcodes species.I think one could say the mystery is solved.Now you've got to find a nice female for it....peace..

Justyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I doubt your mature male will ever be properly ID, and even doubt more that it is Aphonopelma anax or hentzi. It is likely either an undescribed species or one of the many described species found in Arizonia. Simpley put, I doubt you'll ever find out without knowing the exact collection data on this guy. Enjoy him while you can and snap up looks of pics!