Possible Phormictopus cancerides?

KoffinKat138

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey

Finally my "Goliath birdeater" molted and I got a better pic of it. I still dont know exactly what it is, but from my last thread a few people said it could have been Phormictopus cancerides. I was just looking for more opinions on what this sling could be now that its molted.

Thanks

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks like Lasiodora parahybana. Not a P. cancerides.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yes looks like Phormictopus, I highly doubt its Lasiodora

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Maybe if the OP can get a nice macro shot of the carapace we could be more certain. The lines on the carapace look more like P. cancerides to me. Not all LP have colors like that at 1". They stay light brownish. I guess the size by the substrate look. And if it hasnt eaten yet thats a fat post molt abdomen for an LP. mine usually molt out with tiny butts and massive legs.

Last edited:

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Really? What's your reasoning? Looks nothing like my P. cancerides post molt. Looks right on to my L. parahybana.
I have bred, hatched and raised both in the past multiple times, that is my reasoning,
also they not even close to resemble or look alike
as spiderlings
Phormictopus cancerides is blueish in color and hatch large as spiderling inch or even over
Lasiodora parahybana hatch 1/4" light in color and nave black patch on abdomen that remain there for several molts

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
Phormictopus cancerides is blueish in color and hatch large as spiderling inch or even over
Lasiodora parahybana hatch 1/4" light in color and nave black patch on abdomen that remain there for several molts
I'd have to agree with Anastasia here, I'd put money on P. cancerides.

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have bred, hatched and raised both in the past multiple times, that is my reasoning,
also they not even close to resemble or look alike
as spiderlings
I see. That makes me wonder if my L. parahybana is actually an L. parahybana.

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah that definitely looks like P. cancerides.

Cass

Enomegra

Arachnopeon
I have a massive female and one this size as well and would have to agree it appears to be a P. cancerides.

haasdas

Arachnopeon
Yup def P. Cancerides the little white hair with the blue is a dead give away. It has white hair everywhere but the pic shows it the best on the back of the abdomen.

KoffinKat138

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for all the replys. I think i'm going to go with everyone's opinion on P. cancerides. I've raised a few LP slings, and it doesn't appear to look like any of the one's i've had.

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
P Cancerides

Nothing against P Cancerides, (or an LP) but it really sucks if you bought it as a T Blondi....