possible newbies to the hobby

what do i do?

• educate them and give them each a P. terror sling?

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Tell them no and find them something a tad more docile.

Votes: 16 66.7%

• Total voters

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ok, i just got in 6 usumbara slings, all about 3/4ths of an inch. for months now some of the guys i work with have been showing interest in my T's. 2 in particular want a sling each. ive tried to talk them into getting rosies or something more 1st T'ish, but they want a baby they can watch grow. ive tried saying i can order them something, but they want "the fast orange one". you think they want this for all the wrong reasons? or am i just being overprotective and stingy? i just get this air that P. terror isnt a good begginer T, but ill just make a poll. do i go ahead and educate them and give them each a sling, or do i tell them no usumbaras and get them something more docile. i should also state that one is an arachnophobe and will freak if the thing gets out.;P

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Give them a week and tell them to find out everything about them, not T's in general but the usumbaras, if they are serious, by the end of the week, they will at least know a little to at least feed them.

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah I agree with mebebraz. anyway.. I have a question about usumbaras and mine is spiderling also. I've noticed my usumbaras haven't working on her web home or eating any crickets.. just stayed inside her little web home. does this mean she's about to molt or she's just sleeping?

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I agree also. Make them read up on it. Assuming they already know the attitude of a full grown Usambara, I'm willing to bet they want it just because of the "cool way it strikes so they can show them off to friends"

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I'd aim away from the usumbaras. If they want something fast, go with a pinktoe ;)

-Bryan

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Theraposa
yeah I agree with mebebraz. anyway.. I have a question about usumbaras and mine is spiderling also. I've noticed my usumbaras haven't working on her web home or eating any crickets.. just stayed inside her little web home. does this mean she's about to molt or she's just sleeping?
Yes your spider is most likely about to molt. Everytime my Usumbara molts it webs itself in and doesnt eat anything.

As for the question at hand, I would agree that an Avic is a better way to go if they want something fast. P murinus isnt a nice spider. THey are mean and for more advanced keepers.

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As they mentioned let them research it, they can also learn a lot as the sling grows under their care.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
IMO

Newbies should start off with docile adults. They are much more forgiving to human ignorance than s'lings are: such as hydration problems, enclosure problems... Plus, I think that most beginners, are in it to prove that they aren't afraid of the tarantulas. They might also want to scare people with it too.And they want to prove to other people that they aren't afraid of the tarantula. So they will want to hold the tarantula alot. So I think that a docile t, is better for this.

IMO

Big Dragonfly

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
noobs

It has been my expierence that for ever 10ppl who show intrest in the hobby only 1 of them is sutiable to actualy keep T's.
Some things to watch out for.

"Watching spiders kill shit is farking cool man"
"Do I have to water it?"
"wow that would really freak my girlfriend out"
"having a huge evil spider would be bitchen"

I still think you should have to pass a course to be able to keep them. its bad enough they let just anyone have kids.

Usambaras are not good starter spiders ... DUH. no brainer. Give them a few solid months with a curley or rose.

Looseyfur

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Some things to watch out for.
"Watching spiders kill shit is farking cool man"
Do I have to water it?"
wow that would really freak my girlfriend out"
thats insane because thats exactly what one of them said! i knew it really wasnt a good idea, but my conscience was telling me to educate them and give them one. the other guy might be responsible enough, but the guy in question is in it for all the wrong reasons.

:8o

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey! That's ok. There is a place on this forum where your friend can write an account of his or her "ouchie".:rolleyes:
(Bite Report)

Big Dragonfly

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
hmmmm. i sense an experiment coming on. i can hear it now :" the effects of an usumbara bite on the pride of an unsuspecting rookie." has a nice ring to it. just kidding ive decided not to give them usumbaras. if they are genuinely interested they'll start with a rosie or something.;P

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lycanthrope
hmmmm. i sense an experiment coming on. i can hear it now :" the effects of an usumbara bite on the pride of an unsuspecting rookie." has a nice ring to it. just kidding ive decided not to give them usumbaras. if they are genuinely interested they'll start with a rosie or something.;P
*Lets out a sigh of relief*