Possible MisID?

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
HEy there.. I was showing off my pics (who me, not ever ;)) to a friend, and she said she doesn't think this is an L. parahybana... anyone else got pics of similar sized L. paras? (this one's about 5 inches or so)

Any other opinions?

Bill

Click here

Last edited:

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thats a good looking T Bill,
A real hair kicker. Did it kick at you?

Ernie

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
yeah, it would have if it had any left to kick :) It made the motions, but nothing came of it...

Bill

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Bill,
Not that I'm an expert, but it doesn't look like L. parahybana to me. It almost looks like a member of the Grammastola family from it's body shape. As for a guess at which species, I'm not sure.
I'm sure there are others that are more familiar with tarantula classification that can help more.
Ralph

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think the body type in those photos resembles Bill's spider pretty closely, as for color, maybe some clarification on the conditions it was shot in would be good as to me anyway the whole photo looks washed out in that red tint. If the spider really is that red color then it probably isn't parahybana but I assumed (probably incorrectly) that that was more an artifact of the photo than anything else.

Adrian

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
The colors in the photo are pretty much dead on accurate.

Gary - I too did the google search, and came up with nothing.. that's why I posted this, after thinking about it a bit.

I know for sure it is no Grammastola...

Bill

ACoopBB24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have an about 4" L. parahybana and it looks nothing close to that....i dont know.... might be might not

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Remember, that a t's exoskeleton does fade between molts. I have seem Brown LP's before and then molt out to be the blue black color. So just wait till it molts

Sincerely,

Brandon

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Brandon,

Yeah, that was the plan.. the body structure doesn't look too off to my unexperienced eyes. So we'll see what comes of his next molt (Pretty darn sure he's a he too)

Bill

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Many people already said this, but I'm going to say it anyway. Something is ringing in my head telling me it is not a parahybana.

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Interesting pics on the link. My Lasiodora parahybana never appeared to be close to that color when molting, though she did get a little lighter than her usual coloration. I've had her for a little over nine years and she was a descent size when I got her. She's now measuring at about max size. I posted a pic of her on the thread of biggest Ts. My female's abdominal section is not nearly that thick in comparison to the carapace either, and she eats everything in sight, so I know she's well fed.

adios,
edw. :D

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My parahybana is about the same size, but it's all black, between molts the color never changed so dramatically, maybe to a very dark brown at the most. Except for the color it looks exactly like a parahybana, I find the shape of the cephalothorax to be quite characteristic.
Greetz,
Joost
Here's mine for comparison, at first glance they look like two completely different species, but at closer inspection everything except the color looks very much alike

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I didn't mean any offense...

Bill,
I didn't mean any offense by suggesting Grammastola. Sorry if my comments didn't come out right. It just didn't look like a L. parahybana to me, although I don't claim to be an expert. What-ever it is, it is a nice looking tarantula.
Ralph

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Re: I didn't mean any offense...

Originally posted by rknralf
Bill,
I didn't mean any offense by suggesting Grammastola. Sorry if my comments didn't come out right. It just didn't look like a L. parahybana to me, although I don't claim to be an expert. What-ever it is, it is a nice looking tarantula.
Ralph

No, by all means.. don't apologize.. You were the only one who suggested something ELSE besides just saying 'uh nope'.

And Phil - Thanks for the pics, that brown is just about the exact same color. I'm gonna keep calling this a para atleast until it molts.

Bill

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
For starters, sorry for mixing up Brandon and Phil ;)

And here is my answer, some time later.

Bill

Attachments

SaVaGe

Arachnopeon
Thats a lasiadora parahybana m8 =)

Don't worry if his colour go back to brown again in a couple months or weeks.

When they are big eneough they will keep the black color.