Portable Vivarium and Terrariums

bolbiejeebs

Arachnopeon
Hi, I'm looking for a vertical enclosure for creating a setup for my arboreal T. Anyone have some recommendations? The local pet store sells Thrive, Zilla and Zoo Med products, however, I'm also contemplating commissioning one that can be taken apart and put back together. I'm absolutely in love with the hexagonal and half-moon setups, but since I will be moving soon I don't necessarily want to invest in a large enclosure that I'll have to haul or ship in the end. If anyone has experience designing their own enclosures or commissioning one from a particular seller, I'd be interested in hearing about it. There are some products like this but I think they're mostly used for breeding tanks and I would want to be able to expand or add in more panels.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
The zilla microhabitats break down. I have one but I haven't really used it yet. I'd just use a mainstay canister or a cheese ball container. Something cheap and easy that won't break and you can replace at any walmart

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hex tanks are great, but pricey for the volume bought

custom- usually more than store bought

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The zilla microhabitats break down. I have one but I haven't really used it yet. I'd just use a mainstay canister or a cheese ball container. Something cheap and easy that won't break and you can replace at any walmart
let me know what you think of it. Guy at a pet store with Ts didn’t like those acrylic Zillas

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
let me know what you think of it. Guy at a pet store with Ts didn’t like those acrylic Zillas
Honestly I'm not loving the size of it, the vents are too large for a sling or small juvie, but the enclosure isn't big enough for a large spider. I have some 2-3" psalmos and pokies but none seem appropriate for it. I'll let you know when I get something set up in it nicely tho

bolbiejeebs

Arachnopeon
I'm honestly thinking of one of those supersized cereal type containers. There's several on amazon, and it would be easy to modify as well as light and cheap.

bolbiejeebs

Arachnopeon
Hex tanks are great, but pricey for the volume bought

custom- usually more than store bought
I noticed that most vertical type containers are more expensive than horizontal ones o_O Maybe there was a sale when I bought my first one, but my 5 gallon is cheaper than a vertical 2.5 gallon...

TimmmyTarantula

Arachnopeon
If you don't care about having a stylish enclosure I'd personally suggest just going on craigslist or offer up and look for a small aquarium 5- 10 gallons that someone is trying to get rid of. I see them listed all the time and a lot of the time people are selling for next to nothing (I've seen 10 gallons for 10$) and when you are ready to move just get rid of it or resell it. It would most likely be cheaper than having something built and cheaper than shipping something bulky and fragile like a tank. If you need it to be an arboreal setup you can turn the tank vertically with a little ingenuity they can easily be converted for arboreal setup. Or go to walmart buy the giant container of cheese balls for 5-7$$, clean it out drill ventilation holes and you've got a really good ghetto arboreal set up perfect for a temporary enclosure but thats just my two cents. *photos are an example not mine*

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I noticed that most vertical type containers are more expensive than horizontal ones o_O Maybe there was a sale when I bought my first one, but my 5 gallon is cheaper than a vertical 2.5 gallon...
smaller is always more expensive price per gallon, regardless of style.

it’s all about the labor, material costs etc to make a small vs large setup.

bolbiejeebs

Arachnopeon
If you don't care about having a stylish enclosure I'd personally suggest just going on craigslist or offer up and look for a small aquarium 5- 10 gallons that someone is trying to get rid of. I see them listed all the time and a lot of the time people are selling for next to nothing (I've seen 10 gallons for 10$) and when you are ready to move just get rid of it or resell it. It would most likely be cheaper than having something built and cheaper than shipping something bulky and fragile like a tank. If you need it to be an arboreal setup you can turn the tank vertically with a little ingenuity they can easily be converted for arboreal setup. Or go to walmart buy the giant container of cheese balls for 5-7$$, clean it out drill ventilation holes and you've got a really good ghetto arboreal set up perfect for a temporary enclosure but thats just my two cents. *photos are an example not mine*
Now I want cheese balls. Haha, I think that would work until I'm at a more permanent location. That way I'm not investing loads of money into a swanky setup that will end up being a headache for the move.

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
Hi, I'm looking for a vertical enclosure for creating a setup for my arboreal T. Anyone have some recommendations? The local pet store sells Thrive, Zilla and Zoo Med products, however, I'm also contemplating commissioning one that can be taken apart and put back together. I'm absolutely in love with the hexagonal and half-moon setups, but since I will be moving soon I don't necessarily want to invest in a large enclosure that I'll have to haul or ship in the end. If anyone has experience designing their own enclosures or commissioning one from a particular seller, I'd be interested in hearing about it. There are some products like this but I think they're mostly used for breeding tanks and I would want to be able to expand or add in more panels.
I've bought both the small and large Zilla terrestrial microhabitats, and they're not worth the money in my opinion. They had two big draws: The base was the leak-proof base that you build the enclosure around, and they had a twist lock. But they warp easily, and are a little clumsy to open. Having the base wasn't worth the cheap and somewhat inconvenient quality of the enclosure as a whole.

I'm still testing a bunch from Amazon, but thus far, obscure Amazon retailers produce better quality enclosures than Zilla. And they're about the same price.