Pop culture making bad rep for Theraphoids.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am really bored, so I started to look for a movie to watch. I picked up Dr. No, which I haven't seen in a good while. I started to read the back and kind of laughed and frowned at the same time.

"As he unravels the astonishing truth, 007 must fight deadly assassins, sexy femmes fatalesand even a poisonous tarantula!"

It's venom! And why would a double agent have to "fight" a tarantula? LOL

I would never have noticed this until I got into the hobby, but I am wondering if any of you have seen stuff like this in movies and the like.

Flying

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am really bored, so I started to look for a movie to watch. I picked up Dr. No, which I haven't seen in a good while. I started to read the back and kind of laughed and frowned at the same time.

"As he unravels the astonishing truth, 007 must fight deadly assassins, sexy femmes fatalesand even a poisonous tarantula!"

It's venom! And why would a double agent have to "fight" a tarantula? LOL

I would never have noticed this until I got into the hobby, but I am wondering if any of you have seen stuff like this in movies and the like.

Same thing happens with snakes and scorpions mate. Look at Snakes on a Plane. They're using some of the most docile snakes you can have and put them forward as deadly. Or remember Eight Legged Freaks? Tarantulas that are bigger than us humans and devour us as if we were crickets.

I refrain from watching crap like this because it's just too dumb for words.

Another example is the Anaconda series of movies. Like the latest one in which the black guy get grabbed and strangled by the Anaconda, but then freed. There is no way in hell you would be running away from that (even though its not realistic that that would happen) because the snake would've snapped your spine in two. Besides I've got an Anaconda at home and he's the sweetest snake I've seen so far.

It's sensational bull if you ask me. You'd be better off picking your nose and eating whatever it is that came out of it rather than watching such shite movies.

Oh and wasn't spiderman bitten by a Latrodectus sp. before he got superpowers? Ok I admit Spiderman isn't a bad cartoon/movie series, but it's still a tad dumb.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh COME ON, guys!!!!
Big rubber monsters RULE!!! 8 legged freaks, Godzilla (and all the -vs-), Anaconda, Arachnophobia, The Swarm, The Birds.....ALL have a place in my collection!
You guys need to lighten up...{D {D {D
Yeah - they're stupid...but that's the FUN of it! :cool:

Flying

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In some way the movies are hilarious because of all the abnormalities in them yes, but they in no way deserve a place in my valuable collection. It just isn't right having Eight Legged Freaks next to Donnie Darko or Pulp Fiction for example.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
??? Wasn't Pulp Fiction intended to be just as absurd as 8/freaks? lolol
The abnormalities are the whole point of the movie, hon...
Absurdity is hilarious. Reality is rarely entertaining....:D
Besides; my monster movies are right at home between the Nacho Libre and the 2001 Space Odessy.....
You know I love you guys, but you seriously need to stop taking yourselves so...seriously! hehehehe

~Arachno Momma xoxox:p

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I'm sorry to say it really doesn't matter anymore. Movies do nothing but screw facts and stretch reality. Everything is depicted wrong, even in books, shows, newspapers, and advertisements. From guns, to automobiles, to the very laws of physics. But if it was all done 100% accurate, movies would be very dull... and so would the Oprah Winfrey show.

-Sean

Last edited:

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LMAO!!!!:clap: :clap:
Yeah...if I wanted dry facts and no entertainment...I'd only watch Discover or National Geographic...hell - even the History Channel gets the facts wrong sometimes! lol
I watch T.V. and Movies to be entertained. Not educated...;)
Bring the FUNNY, man!!!
Anyone who has ever watched one of the old Godzilla movies and watched him "bob" and bounce as he walks - and doesn't laugh - is probably a PRUNE in the humor department....I nearly cried, I was having so much fun the first time I saw 8/freaks!! LMAO!!!!
(sorry guys...we get a little batty when we age...) xoxo

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a firm believer in educating the public. ({D)
If someone's going to do a documentary, or anything to that effect, they better do their research.

But when I put in a DVD that says, "watch a 5,000 ft. spider poisonize everyone on the planet!!" I just toss a cricket into one of my spider's cage (maybe even one for myself), smile, and enjoy the show.

-Sean

Corranthe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This thread reminds me of a conversation I was having two nights ago with a friend of mine. She asked me if I would probably still feel the same way about Ts right now if I had seen Arachnophobia as a kid. And the honest answer is probably “no”. Had I seen that movie when I was young I would probably be permanently freaked out and turned off by Ts. So I think the problem with these kinds of movies and their misinformation is that they might be ruining future hobbyists. And that is sad.

Oddly, enough, I saw part of Arachnophobia for the first time about two weeks ago. I only watched part of it because I couldn’t sit through the whole thing because it was so absurd. But the part I did see was probably more amusing and entertaining for the fact that I do collect Ts and I do know better about them. At least I was giggling and shaking my head as I turned off the T.V.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
...I used to BE an arachnophobe...the first time I saw Arachnobia..lol.....it just made me think I was being silly for being scared of something so SMALL. They made me sweat and have a hammer-heart...Very frustrating to me, to be frightened. ...Eventually it built up to the point that I had to defeat it. So I got "Gladys" the G.rosea....and now - 50+ Ts later...lolol
My point is: humor defeats all.
(and so does Godzilla!;) )

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i actually find it funny. the best part is that they use G. roseas to portray the "deadly, poisonous tarantula".

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
HA! I saw a B.smithi juvie "kill" someone on an old episode of Charmed...heeheehee.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
If you saw it on Charmed, you know its real. Be afraid.... Be very afraid.:eek:

-Sean

Flying

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
HA! I saw a B.smithi juvie "kill" someone on an old episode of Charmed...heeheehee.
I know that movies aren't real at all. I for one LOVE horror movies, make it bloody! But things like you say that's just plain dumb. People may take the show to seriously and then when they see an actual B. smithi they'll freak out and think it can kill you. I mean come on?

And yes Godzilla is a classic, I loved it. If you're planning on watching Death Proof then prepare to be bored (I'm NOT joking).

spartybassoon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Man, I LOVE Arachnophobia! Y'all just gotta forget about the absurdities and truths of our hobby and enjoy a decent horror comedy when it comes along, since most suck hardcore and besides, the only realistic horror movies involve people killing people, not animals.

The_Thunderer

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
People may take the show to seriously and then when they see an actual B. smithi they'll freak out and think it can kill you. I mean come on?
I don't know... I think that people need to realize the difference between a movie and real life. If they can't make the distinction, there's something wrong with them, not the movie.

My kids and I love Arachnophobia. When my kids watched it with me, I explained to them that they used the spiders and T's to scare people, but most of the T's are really like the "friendly" ones I have (B. smithi, G. rosea, B. boehmei). When I pointed that out, they enjoyed the movie and then went to the T-room to check out the "monsters".
LOL.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well put!
If people are so serious minded about their hobbies...are they really hobbies - or OCD disorders?
If they can't have a laugh at Attack of the 40 foot woman...or Mars Attacks....or Attack of the Killer Tomatoes..or ARACHNOPHOBIA....following me, here??
Lighten up, Folks!
The rest of the non-T. populace already thinks we're WEIRD...let's not make them think we're all a bunch of screwed down, anal retentive meanies with no sense of humor, toooo!:rolleyes:

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
People may take the show to seriously and then when they see an actual B. smithi they'll freak out and think it can kill you. I mean come on?
Same way people think you can shoot a gas tank and blow up twenty bad guys.

Its just to make movies exciting. If anyone thinks a B. smithi bite can kill you, they might stop and think, why do they have them wandering the set with the actors?

-Sean

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow, I was seriously just having this same conversation at lunch. My friends and I were talking about our favorite worst movies. And there are some bad ones out there, but thats the fun of it. I laughed all the way through Snakes on a Plane and 8 Legged Freaks, as well as Venomous and Arachnophobia. They are always good for a laugh when theres nothing better to do. And while I did get POed when Andacondas was in Asia, I still think that those kinda movies are made for people like us; those who know its stupid and think its funny, not those who want to be scared. ~ Rex