POLL: Yellow sac spider bites and opinions (Cheiracanthium spp.)

Have you been bitten by Cheiracanthium?

• no

Votes: 36 75.0%
  • yes, and it was no big deal

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • yes, and it caused minor symptoms

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • yes, and it caused major symptoms

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Your ignorance on how dermal infections work is quite amazing. Nothing turns into a staph infection. Staph is the infection it starts out as.
Not meaning to stomp holes in Ciphor's dingy but. Staph, as most other bacterial infectors, are opportunists. They will infect when the defense mechanisms are compromised. In the case of bites, the defense being the skin. The infection can set in at any time the bacteria finds an opening. In the case of staph, many staph infections come from household surfaces some time after the initial injury has taken place.
This is the reason we use sterile dressings and protect wounds from the open air. When you have the slightest doubt of infection possibility, get scrubbing the wound good and hard with a povidone-iodine antiseptic like Betadyne<tm>

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Not meaning to stomp holes in Ciphor's dingy but. Staph, as most other bacterial infectors, are opportunists. They will infect when the defense mechanisms are compromised. In the case of bites, the defense being the skin. The infection can set in at any time the bacteria finds an opening. In the case of staph, many staph infections come from household surfaces some time after the initial injury has taken place.
This is the reason we use sterile dressings and protect wounds from the open air. When you have the slightest doubt of infection possibility, get scrubbing the wound good and hard with a povidone-iodine antiseptic like Betadyne<tm>
I think we're saying the same thing just your explanation is better lol. Staph is an infection, doesn't matter if it's a spider bite, knife cut, nail stab, or surgery removing a leg. It is by nature what it is, staph. Nothing specific escalates into staph. His context was making it sound like staph is something that spider bites turn into. staph isn't something you worry about with a ulcer caused by a spider. Necrosis/gangrene is if its severe enough.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I think we're saying the same thing just your explanation is better lol. Staph is an infection, doesn't matter if it's a spider bite, knife cut, nail stab, or surgery removing a leg. It is by nature what it is, staph. Nothing specific escalates into staph. His context was making it sound like staph is something that spider bites turn into. staph isn't something you worry about with a ulcer caused by a spider. Necrosis/gangrene is if its severe enough.
Right. Basically, if bitten dial up the web page that tells you about anaphylaxis and the watch fors, clean the wound thoroughly, ice indirectly to slow venom spread and reduce inflamation, and observe. The bite site concerns to watch for are are ulceration, pus, pitting edema and discoloration (blue, bright red (angry), or grey- white). If respirations become labored, heart beats become irregular, a red streak going towards the heart or pain in the lymph nodes develops, get your hiney to the ER STAT.

aSpiderificGirl

Arachnosquire
I have TONS of Cheiracanthium inclusum all over my property, and they especially love to go into my car. I always check for them before I get in, but last year I was in a hurry and bypassed the check. I sat down and a few seconds later felt a bite on my thigh. I got up and realized I had apparently sat partially on one and it bit me in self defense. I collected it in a container and then drove to my sister's house. It was stinging like crazy, so I when I got there I went to the bathroom to check where it bit me. There was a red, nasty looking raised mark. Eventually the stinging stopped and the mark never turned necrotic. However, that red, raised mark remained on my thigh for a year and a half before it went away! I ended up keeping the spider that bit me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVc4FO9yFS8

Tarantula155

Arachnobaron
I have TONS of Cheiracanthium inclusum all over my property, and they especially love to go into my car. I always check for them before I get in, but last year I was in a hurry and bypassed the check. I sat down and a few seconds later felt a bite on my thigh. I got up and realized I had apparently sat partially on one and it bit me in self defense. I collected it in a container and then drove to my sister's house. It was stinging like crazy, so I when I got there I went to the bathroom to check where it bit me. There was a red, nasty looking raised mark. Eventually the stinging stopped and the mark never turned necrotic. However, that red, raised mark remained on my thigh for a year and a half before it went away! I ended up keeping the spider that bit me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVc4FO9yFS8
I've seen that video many times before. I have many yellow sac spider videos on youtube also.