Poll: When your males mature, what do you do with them?

Well?

• Total voters

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Just had my G. pulchra, which I raised from a tiny sling, hook out. He is my first T to do so, and it got me thinking about what I should do with him, and what others do in this situation.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I haven't had a mature male yet, but if I end up with one, my plan is to trade or sell him to a reputable breeder.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So far I've had two of the local Aphonopelma hook out. I kept both and they eventually died of old age. When my L. parahybana hooked out I traded him for another tarantula (to be determined at a future time - I have not yet collected on that one). My A. versicolor died of old age. I traded a MM GBB for a juvenile A. avicularia. The A. avicularia just matured last month, so I may try to trade him as well. I suspect that my P. vittata will mature at his next molt, and I might consider trading him too.

obie

Arachnosquire
All my males that hooked out I traded for random slings. I have two suspect gbb and a suspect H Gigas I'm waiting to see what I do with.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I offer the legs of a mature arachnid as sacrifice to Lord Pna'cid. With luck, he doesn't burn my village down.

Nah. Loans and trades, mate.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
If its a G. Pulchra, if I were you, id trade or if you can do a breeding Loan. Get a whole bunch Pulkra babies! while they are not Rare here in the states, they are still worth a good amount Due to their Look/lifespan/hardyness and i know personally a lot of people out on the west coast have paid decent amounts for MF Pulchra's.
might take a while, but you could be looking at a few hundreds dollars from selling off Juvie and matured ones later on and keeping a Female or two for yourself :)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
breeding loan, if not possible or if i dont want the slings, ill trade for slings i want or sell. worst case scenario, i have to keep him till he passes on his own.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Traded, sold, breeding loan, or used for breeding my females.
G. pulchra MM's are worth a good amount, they are not easy to produce a viable sac so the price of slings, juveniles, females and MM's stay high in comparison to other more common Grammy's.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Trade or sell

I loaned one out and then wanted him back to keep

But decided he was better off in the hands of a breeder

So if I can I'll always try to do that

Benefits everyone

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Thanks for all the responses so far. Gives me a lot to think about.

creepa

Arachnoknight
I selected 'other'

I would find him a fresh female or/and send him on a breeding loan for half the slings...

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
So far just doing it for cash.

Different story now but, I have not come across any males yet

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I had to click "Other". I currently haven't got any that are sexed as male. I have a few slings (or juveniles) that are probably the minimum size to determine it now, but I need another molt (or picture with the T in the right position).

I suppose everything will depend on what my viable options might be when I have a MM. I still need to learn how to pack and ship them. I will need to find someone who desires to obtain them. Getting money or slings (beyond shipping cost) is a secondary bonus and not a primary objective.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Selected 'other' as well. I'd accept al three, whichever was most convenient and has the best chance of the male doing what he is best in, mating.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Breed, loan, trade, or sell. I only keep mature males if I just can't find a female for them.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Sell your pulchra. The odds of a successful breeding aren't great unless you're really picky about your partner, but he should sell for $100 or so. They're a great species, slow growing and not super easy to breed, so he's an especially good one to send out, but I try to breed even my most common males.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I voted "other" since breeding loan wasn't an option. I've always done loans on my males. Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't, but usually they do. But I'm willing to buy eleventy hundred little plastic vials for my half of slings and find buyers for the slings and order tiny roaches and do all the feeding and such. Don't do a loan if you don't want, or can't care for, slings. In that case, sell him to someone who will breed him. We need more pulchra!

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
I recently had my first male hook out and I was lucky enough to arrange an awesome trade deal to get him laid and get me some awesome new slings. I'd prefer to do it that way for now, at least til I have the space to house tons of slings resulting from a breeding loan. I definitely feel it is my duty to help them fulfill their purpose before they pass, so I'll always do everything I can to get my little guys some action. :D