Poll: How tolerant is your significant other of your tarantulas?

Well?

• Total voters

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Thought this might be a fun topic, with V-Day coming up.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
I just picked up a T. ockerti for her last week. She now has two A. metallicas, GBB, A. seemani, B. Vagans, Rose hair, G. Pulchripes, and children's python.

She has gifted me.... P.metallica, P. Pulchra, and A. chalcolodes new river,

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Who should care about "significant other/s" in the first place?

I still remember when Ornella, one of the Ladies I had, cried because I called her "Ornata" (on purpose) after a night of fun in Milano Chinatown in 2005 invited by Ping, one of my Chinese friends, a pure Tong badass. Smoking and surrounded with Jimmy Choo shoes wearing Chinese sexy Ladies serving drinks... I returned home in completely pre-molt, basically destroyed, and, since she bothered me, I called her "Ornata" (mind, in Italian you can joke with Ornella & Ornata, sounds similar enough) for the last time.

"I'm not one of your -- F-Word + ing -- spiders (note, never owned a 'Pokie' even if I cared friends ones btw) that you enjoy to keep in your cages. F-Word Chris".

Now she's a chubby wife with sons. I'm fit, single, happy. Still with Theraphosidae :-s

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My husband used to kill spiders that he found in the house, but I have educated him, and now he just captures them for me to identify and relocate.

I wouldn't say that my husband was ever afraid or disliked tarantulas, but even after he stopped killing spiders, and I started keeping Kukulcania hibernalis, he was indifferent to the idea of having tarantulas. I got an Avicularia avicularia as a birthday gift from my mother, and that served as a good icebreaker.

He has definitely warmed up to them, especially Skyler (my second Avicularia avicularia) and Dozer (my Grammostola pulchra). He likes to feed them and says he likes having them as pets "as long as you do all of the work."

Crowbi

Arachnopeon
She's afraid of them to the point that seeing a molt freaks her out (I have a small display case). HOWEVER, she lets me keep my spiders/tarantulas/other invertebrates as long as she doesn't has to deal with them, and doesn't mind me showing her new additions, etc.

user 666

Arachnobaron
She says i am lucky that she hasn't gotten a large can of RAID.

Then again, we both enjoy sending my brother molted skins. He's scared to death of spiders. :)

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
She isn't bothered by them. My lp is named Rachel spider after her:) she gets annoyed that I never watch movies she rents disappearing in my spider room for long stretches, but nothing major. I got a free p cambridgei with 2 Pulchripes I bought off cold blood. The cambridgei ran out and up on my back when i unpacked it. My better half got it off and in the enclosure. She had me feel her heart, which was about to burst out her chest lol. Thats love

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
My gal was pretty creeped out at first, but through exposure therapy, she has gotten to really like them over time. She always wants to see which slings have molted, which ones have eaten, etc. Still gets the willies occasionally looking at Nibbles (5" G. pulchra) but she's mostly over it.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I don't need to worry about that since I am SINGLE!!!! and will continue to be until I move to Texas. I do look forward to the day a lady asks me what my hobbies are, that way I can say "oh, nothing special, typical things like playing an instrument, watching the Dallas Cowboys, raising live tarantulas, you know things like that"

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
My wife used to be very opposed, but now she is very defensive of all 17 of them. She has even taken to calling the GBB she got for me for Christmas as "her spider".

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
My wife is freaked out about them but she is tolerant LOL. Until one gets too close, then she'll have a heart attack LOL

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My wife likes the Ts a lot, but wants them to be our "pets", and so doesn't want us to get more than we can name and remember. So less than about 20

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
My girlfriend talked me into actually getting 'our' first T. We now own about 20+ scorpions and millipedes.

runCMD

Arachnopeon
My wife isn't scared of them but she is annoyed as the few hobbies I do pick up tend to take up entire areas of the house. My garage is a gym, a corner of the den has a full bar in it, the coat closet has all my bowling stuff, and now the office/guest room is getting Ts :).

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
My husband used to kill spiders that he found in the house, but I have educated him, and now he just captures them for me to identify and relocate.

I wouldn't say that my husband was ever afraid or disliked tarantulas, but even after he stopped killing spiders, and I started keeping Kukulcania hibernalis, he was indifferent to the idea of having tarantulas. I got an Avicularia avicularia as a birthday gift from my mother, and that served as a good icebreaker.

He has definitely warmed up to them, especially Skyler (my second Avicularia avicularia) and Dozer (my Grammostola pulchra). He likes to feed them and says he likes having them as pets "as long as you do all of the work."
WAIT. YOU'RE A WOMAN? I NEVER KNEW.

DARNIT PEANUT WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I don't need to worry about that since I am SINGLE!!!! and will continue to be until I move to Texas. I do look forward to the day a lady asks me what my hobbies are, that way I can say "oh, nothing special, typical things like playing an instrument, watching the Dallas Cowboys, raising live tarantulas, you know things like that"
You'll love the ladies here, mate. Everything's bigger in Texas ;)

tAngents

Arachnopeon
I put "not tolerant at all", but my husband sits somewhere kind of in between that and "somewhat disapproves" right now. I stated in a previous thread that I am probably going to be limited to one T for some time due to his vehemence toward me getting it. :rolleyes: We share many interests--music, gaming, car stuff, etc, but I just can't get him to warm up to my lizards and T. He doesn't understand why I like them and feels like they're taking up space. I don't know. I talked him into getting a dog a few years ago and he was pretty against that as well but now he loves that dog to death and carries him around calling him "my son" and all this other cheesy stuff. Maybe there's still hope for my T and lizards and it's just gonna take longer? *sigh* :arghh: