Polar opposites....

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
..until today I haven't noticed the stark difference between these 2 girls lifestyles.
#1, I rarely see, stays in her tube and only slight webbing can be found. #2, can be seen even during daytime hours, but in her silk tunnels.
Both have been in their current enclosures over 2 years now.
#1 eats well and apparently poos in the tube, ugh! I've cleaned poo off the enclosure sides only a handful of times.
#2 is the messy sister as seen by her home. Quite the webber but makes cleaning poo a real chore.
Just goes to show the difference between sac mates! Temperament: both are usually docile, not the typical H. maculata characteristics we've been accustomed to seeing/hearing about. I can recall only one real threat posture, #2, but occasionally get slapping threats when in the open.

A beautiful species for the advanced keeper.

Attachments

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
That's really interesting, really shows how each one has own distinct personality.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah that's really interesting. My H. mac is like your #2.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
That's really interesting. I don't keep H. maculata nor do I have sac mates of any species, but I do have two Avic avics around the same size whose mannerisms and personalities vary drastically. One is very sweet, not skittish, and will delicately take prey from tongs, whereas the other is afraid of everything, tries to use U-hairs on anything that moves and tackles prey with a vengeance/has run up my tongs.

Thanks for posting this - I want to eventually have multiples of each spp (sac mates if possible) so I can observe their differences.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Great species. I have noticed unparalleled behaviour between sacmates of different species. I have never really documented it. What you are saying here rings true.

No two specimens will be exactly the same. :)