Pokies patterns

Genix

Arachnopeon
Hello guys. Can you determine the gender of a P. regalis based on its patterns? Like sexual dimorphism? I saw a lot of posts about P. metallica that adult female, loses a lot of blue colors when they reach maturity. However, the adult male maintained its color. And I can clearly see its differences in patterns. But how about P regalis? Can anyone help me? Thanks

Liquifin

Arachnoking
In terms of sexual dimrophism, only the P. ornata can be easily distinguishable between male and female. Sadly, it isn't the same for the other Poecilotheria species. I made a thread on P. vittata that I found interesting, but I'm not confirming they're sexually dimorphic or anything, as it's just my speculation and observation.

I saw a lot of posts about P. metallica that adult female, loses a lot of blue colors when they reach maturity. However, the adult male maintained its color.
Only a very, very old female specimen will have a darker or duller color blue. But in general, females are quite blue otherwise, so trying to sex P. metallica by color is not really reliable. I've seen many P. metallica with beautiful blues, and unless they're many years old as in very old mature, their colors will be a quite pleasant blue.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
With some pokies, coloration can be a 'hint' of the specimen's sex, but is by no means definitive since there can be individual differences between animals. Folio (dorsal) sexing in P. regalis is an example. A white folio pattern and more female-ish markings as the spider grows can be a hint that the spider may be female, but it isn't accurate enough to be a reliable indicator since there can be outliers. If I was looking for a female at a reptile show for instance, I wouldn't base my decision on coloration alone. I'd like to get a closer look at the tarantula myself or ideally have it be a molt-confirmed female.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Your best bet for sexing is to obtain a molt and look for (sclerotized for mature) spermathecae to see if it is female. And just a friendly FYI if you’re wanting members to sex your T it can only be done in the appropriate galleries:

Crazyarachnoguy

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter
Not really. I have a MM p.metallica whose just as vibrant as my females. You can never be sure until you look at the molt.