Pokie Kicking Cage???????

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There is no if, that first picture is blurry as hell but you can see the gloves......Hes mature. Better get him a date lol.

Okitasoshi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah he's a male, he's probably lookin for a little lady.

BTW, I love your quote, if you can't tell by my handle name I'm also a fan of Shinsengumi, I'm wondering if that was an actual written excerpt by Saito or just a quote someone heard him saying or something.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i'd say mature male also. if you do not want to breed him, take him back to the dealer - he should have told you it was a mature male!

most mature male pokies only live a few months more, a year is really optimistic, and only realistic if his ultimate molt was not long ago.

massmorels

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Im betting it came from a petshop, in which case you should call up some of the online dealers and offer the male in trade for some spiderlings or trying to post a thread in attempts to get im some skirt (may take too long). Taking it back will only allow those jerks to sell him to someone else...

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Sorry to go off topic, but may I suggest getting a few books on tarantulas? That way you can learn some things that will help you in this hobby such as anatomy and what to look for and expect with mature males and things like that. I agree that it sounds like you have a mature male, though I can't tell anything from those pictures. The drumming would be a good indication. Just be careful with this spider, they do have much stronger venom than your Avicularia sp. :)

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Oh, and to explain the boxing/kicking of the glass. He's going through a behavior called 'drumming'.

Basically, males initiate this to let the females know "I'm on my way, and don't eat me please, cos I really like you, and I want you to have my babies."
Spiders are quite sensitive to vibration, and this is his way of looking for a girl. I'm guessing he'll be doing it all night, and all day, and he'll be very restless as well. All part of getting around, if you know what I mean. ;)

Staley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WOW I just cant imagine myself being that stupid about tarantulas again. I got swindled for that MM. $65 SOB... Strange reading a post thats from that long ago. All the names on this thread bring up memories. very nostalgic

Plus that tarantula got me my frist review... Sorry I dug this one up from the Archives