Pokie having trouble climbing?

DPetsche

Arachnopeon
I know it's practically unheard of but I just got two sub adult P. regalis. Like I just unboxed them. They're both in temporary totes. Currently the male has been climbing around and is now chilling on the floor while the female is legitimately struggling to get up the side. She keeps sliding back down after getting halfway up. As far I knew up until now this genus was able to climb smooth surfaces, but why is she having trouble when her male counterpart over here isn't?

To clarify, she's not showing visible trouble climbing, she's just not holding on after climbing. She slides down.

Shudragon

Arachnopeon
Weakness/stress from shipping is possible.

Premolt/heavy premolt can mean less exact control over legs/hooks? Check for that.

Could just be she doesnt care as much.

Leave her alone, check back after a week and see how she is acting.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Most all arboreals lose there ability to cling to smooth surfaces during premolt. As the new exo forms underneath the old the pads on the tarsus no longer have the ability to grip.

DPetsche

Arachnopeon
Yeah I think she was just feeling lazy as she's already doing a better job of holding on

jaycied

Arachnoknight
Sounds like pokie premolt to me. Their legs have incredibly tiny organs on the feet to help them grip, if they are getting close to a molt the new exoskeleton will slightly separate from the old one. A bit like trying to operate a new body inside a an old one with bad attachments. Just keep an eye on her and don't keep and problematic feeders (crickets, superworms) in with her for too long.

DPetsche

Arachnopeon
Sounds like pokie premolt to me. Their legs have incredibly tiny organs on the feet to help them grip, if they are getting close to a molt the new exoskeleton will slightly separate from the old one. A bit like trying to operate a new body inside a an old one with bad attachments. Just keep an eye on her and don't keep and problematic feeders (crickets, superworms) in with her for too long.
Thank you for the advice. I usually leave all of my Ts alone at all times unless they're being fed or moved so I've never actually experienced how they act while in pre-molt, just how they look. His (mixed up the male and the female, this one is the male :rofl: ) colors are a bit on the dull side so I'm guessing pre-molt. He isn't being too active, sorta just chilling. Did some climbing around for a while but that's about it really.

jaycied

Arachnoknight
It's always really hard to tell when an OW is in premolt due to the lack of getting a bald patch from kicking bristles. Don't sweat it, all sounds normal