Pokie esaped

Dilbrain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What a crap day today was......
I recently rehoused my 2.5 inch pokie ornata into a larger custom built enclosure.
A bit on the large side but very cool with a lid on top and a sliding front door halfway up. All glass and a micromesh steel breathing panel.
I fed my menagerie yesterday evening and all seemed well. This morning I realised that I had not closed the sliding door fully..........
The pokie had done a moonlight flit.... :eek:
I have spent most of today looking for the little perisher to no avail.
To make matters worse, when I was combing through the enclosure's area I moved my little 'nursery' [ a 5 gallon tank with several deli pots containing a H.lividium sling and a C.crawshayii sling] , I opened the lid and was removing the crawshayii pot when I managed to drop the blleding thing! Dirt all over the floor and 'Asbo' the King B was on his way to freedom........... :?
Well, I managed to recapture him ok , but still no pokie. I have told the wife, who understandably is not too chuffed. It's freezing in Oxfordshire at the moment and the house is not warm in ever room , I have a feeling that he may have found this 1 inch hole in the wall between the hallway and the kitchen.
Here's hoping I find the little fella sooner rather than later, but these little devils are not the easiest to catch.
I will let you guys know the outcome.

:(

Last edited:

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Good luck. Hopefully you will find your pokie in a corner along your ceiling.

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry to hear about that. I actually had a p.murinus sling last for pretty much a month living in my home and found him/her yesterday. I hope you have the same luck with your p.ornata.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
that really sucks, sorry. i've never had a t escape (honestly, not even a sling - ok, a pokie sling jumped out its box once, but fortunately i got it in under 1 minute). maybe you can try offering a shelter near the ceiling, artificial plant or some such. as pokies ime are very shy, she might use it as a shelter.

Dilbrain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Still looking , thanks for the messages of concern :)
Watch this space...........................:?

tospace

Arachnopeon
look in every corner of your house. if u still don't find it go to sleep and wake up at about 3~4am and with a flashlight look around your house because f it was in a hole it will most likely come out at night

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh I am in the same boat right now too..... there is a ghost pokie out there somewhere at me gf's house..... amazingly enough she is not mad or scared, now when the cat knocked over the dubia colony that was a different story. =-)

Dilbrain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
look in every corner of your house. if u still don't find it go to sleep and wake up at about 3~4am and with a flashlight look around your house because f it was in a hole it will most likely come out at night
I woke up about 3 times last night and tried the above method. Hopefully I will find it eventually.

Last edited:

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I woke up aboiut 3 times last night and tried the above method. Hopefully I will find it eventually.
did u look in closets??
My P.cancerides escaped twice, found in my closet
shez closet girl :eek:

Last edited:

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ur sure its actually escaped? not burrowed or hiding in a small piece of cork bark inside the tank? check where its warmest :)

Dilbrain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ur sure its actually escaped? not burrowed or hiding in a small piece of cork bark inside the tank? check where its warmest :)
Good Point Becky, I will have a look tonight. I put a piece of Bogwood in the enclosure, it's not quite the same as Cork Bark but it has a few little knots and gnarly holes.
Fingers crossed......:8o

Dilbrain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well , I checked through the enclosure and the wood, to no avail...:(
Looked through every wardrobe/closet, door frames, skirting board , you name it. I may try something a bit wacky next.
I'm going to hang a heat pad in the top corner of the area from which the pokie escaped [ hallway ] . I'm thinking on a chilly night it may be drawn to this source? I was going to attach some polystryrene on the back and tape it to the wall.
I will be working nightshifts for a few weeks and use a bunch of pc's at work, I may set up a web cam aimed at the general area to alert me to any action.
Sounds daft, but so did sending men to the moon.......................... :)
Fingers crossed!

:clap:

Last edited:

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You might try putting a piece of cork tubing in the corner somewhere. It may not work, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try, either.

Mr Short Radius

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Go in the room and yell, heel. It should come running. It works great with my rottweiler. ...and I would check every inch of the dresser or whatever your enclosure is on, underside, behind, everywhere.