Pokie danger???

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This time, I've thrown the damn thing in the garbage.

My (now) 7 incher P rufilata once again broke out of its acrylic half-octogonal enclosure. She managed to slide the sliding door... should have wait til she was looking away so she would'nt learn how to open it.

A spider this size cannot quite hide like a sling, yet we looked in every nook and cranny with no result. Problem : within 3 mètres of her enclosure were 1-holes in the wall (for further electrical installation) 2-an open window.

So I already made my mind that I might never see my beauty again, but I just wonder if anyone has been bitten by a pokie on the loose. All accounts of biting occured when one tryed to restrain or handle or catch the bug, with the hand in or close to their hide. But unless you poke a finger in its territory or you corner it, everyone seems to agree that pokies would actually never move foward to bite. So, did anyone here ever got bitten by a loose pokie simply because you were within biting range???

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ive never heard of this happening.but if your really worried about it u could lay down some sticky traps to try and catch her.i would look around your walls at night with a flash light.also i remember Cedrik on here had an escaped poec and had some luck recapturing it somehow.not sure where that thread is

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Man good luck, hope ya get her back safe and sound!!!:(

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well with rufilata..they are really reluctant to bite, i mean you have to do alot....with that being said sitting on it might stray from the norm of possibilities sooo i would be careful...

i have seen in a tread where someone put up on the walls triangle shaped paper hides and later found the missing pokie in one of them..... soo you might want to try that:? as they will venture to higher ground if possible...

Skypainter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
u could lay down some sticky traps to try and catch her.
I would hate to see such a cool spider meet her fate this way. :( Please do not put out sticky traps! Try to find her out and about at night and use a large cup and something flat and stiff to slide underneath to catch her.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ill snap some pics of how I caught my last escape. Be right back.

Ok, so just take whatever you have handy. And do this. But not so close together. I only put them like that for the picture. I think the last 3 escapes I have had were captured using this method.

Last edited:

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Great idea Ryan! Best of luck finding her. Keep us posted.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I can see company coming over and saying, "Oh, nice wall decorations." Of course, you don't want to tell them that a pokie is lose in your house so you would have to make up some kind of story to cover for the toilet paper rolls.

I do, however, think that would be an excellent way to catch a pokie or pretty much any arboreal.

Good luck! I hope she didn't wonder out the open window. I would think she would go into the hole in the wall before the window, but who knows.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I live in a big multi housing building and my imediate next door neighbours are pretty cool with it and keep exotics themselves. The old lady downstairs just locked her windows for a while. I don't expect my bug to wreck havoc and people to call the police after me. I live in Québec, and my Pokie will die if I she stays out past September. Inside the wall, it's bone dry ; she won't last long there either. She just might be hidden in a remote corner, waiting to play jack in the box with my girlfriend

My roomates (gf+ bass player) are cool with it, they just knock their shoes upside down before putting them on. Last time she escaped, they saw pretty clear how shy and recluse this spider is and no longer fear it will come to bite them during their sleep. My GF is actualy more disapointed at the loss itself than angry at the fact that a 7 inches spider roams her house!!!

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hopefully you will find her. It's amazing how many stories (and sometimes funny ones) there are of recovering missing T's! A 7" Pokie in itself will make for quite a story!! i would definitely try Ryan's technique as it seems like such a great place for a Pokie to hide. Good luck.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok, more than 3 weeks after, no sign of my big rufi. A few questions here:

1-If she went in the walls, do you think drought have already killed her?

2-If she went outdoor (there is a yard under my window, my neighbours balconies around, and trees across the 20 ft yard, I wonder if she has a chance to survive for a while until the cold comes in!

I patrolled my apt at night with a flashlight...in vain, will keep you posted!

david goldsboro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
she will have gone some where dark and damp, rufilata like to be cool , hope you find her