Pokie Behavior Question

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I have a P. rufilata and a P. metallica. The P. metallica is always out flashing its beautiful colors. The P. rufilata, on the other hand, is always hiding. I don't even remember the last time I saw her. She build a dirt curtain tent and to my knowledge has never come out.My P. metallica is at about 3" DLS and the P. rufilata is about 3.5" DLS. Is this consistent with what other keepers have seen? I thought that rufilatas like to be out and about and metallicas like to stay in cover.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I own P.ruflilata and live with a P.metallica that my Nephew owns both are usually out but stick close to there hides..

My female rufi is pretty easy going but his young male rufi is spastic and defensive.. My girl is a shy and timid feeder, his eats like a Genic.

His AF regalis is allways hiding.. I've seen it out maybe three times.. I've never owned a regalis that has hidden a third as much as his.. The four I have now are allways visible.

See where I'm headed with all this? While species may have gotten a certain reputation they don't allways live up to it.. Sometimes they vary in habits and temperaments greatly..

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Each individual will have its own personality, as stated. Just like people: same species, but some like to be out all the time, while others prefer to stay at home. Best not to go into it with too many expectations. Just love them for the unique creatures they are:)

I find their unique personalities part of the fun!

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
14pokies and Anoplagaster hit the nail on the head. Temperament can vary between specimens. My P. metallica has always been quite visible, and she's usually calm and sitting right out in the open. I have two juvenile P. rufilatas; one is always hiding and one has no issue with sitting right out in the open. I agree completely with Anoplagaster in that that these little temperament differences are what give our little guys some personality. :)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Both my metallica and rufilata are out often. My vittata I saw like 10 times before he matured.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Yeah, whether they hide a lot or are out front and center vary from individual to individual. I have a P regalis that hid for 7 months, never saw her, now she's out all the time. My rufilata hides a ton and if she's out, she's super skittish. My ornata slings are front and center, my lowlands hide so well, the containers look empty. They will probably switch it up at some point to. There is no norm or consistency

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
My fasciata was out quite a bit when smaller, not so much now that it has passed the 3" size. Though the occasional walkabout in the morning or evening isn't unheard of.

Like everyone else has said, it depends on the individual. While I don't have as much experience keeping Pokies as the others, I have read more than my fair share on them. Your rufilata just sounds like a shy one :)