pokey in touble

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
hey guys. my P. formosa was on its back when i awoke this morning. got home its made virtually no progress and its legs are all twisted and gnarled looking. i doubt it, but do any of you know if i can do anything to help? theres still movement.

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well ive further examined the situation and it looks bad. all legs appear to be stuck and it appears he has twisted them up a fair bit trying to free them. he's still moving but i really dont think this t is going to live. i misted around a bit, which is all i can do for him as hes only a 1.5" sling. its a real shame that was my only pokey and i liked him. these things happen,guess ill have space for those new t's i won now:( :D .

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
thats too bad... I wish I could help but i have no idea... I have never had a pokie or any of my tarantulas have this happen to then maybe try using a damp cuetip and try to help him seperate te legs... or maybe gently with tweezers

TheDon

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
you could try putting a paper towel in some hot water and squeezing out most , not all of the water and sitting it in a couple of inches away and sealing his enclosure so the humity will stay in better, worked for me. after a couple of minutes my little A. urticans sling slipped right out of the rest of his exuvium.
dale

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
be sure to avoid even the least bit of water droplets inside as slings can over-easily drown in these.

good luck! the paper towel method sounds like an excellent one, i've heard of it used with success before - definitely make sure there isn't excess moisture though.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
what's up with all the pokie trouble? I seem to recall quite a few of us have had their share of pokie molting problems. Sorry to hear about yours. I had a P ornata actually finish molting, but it was all deformed and spastic, and wouldn't eat. I think it finally starved to death, the poor thing. :(

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
what's up with all the pokie trouble?
you think maybe with the comparatively small number of pokies that alot of it could be inbreeding? i mean theres no where near the number of pokies out there there are, lets say A. avicularia. maybe its possible the blood lines are limited. obviously its not brother sister crossing because of the whole maturity gap thing. i dunno just a thought.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The paper towel method is what I use alot! I've given it out as advice, also. Basically, its something i really believe in, as it's worked for me many times!

Id say def try the paper towel method. I make sure its kind of warm (though it doesnt really matter), and make sure its not dripping. I completely seal off the top of the cage (or side), so air can still get in, but it has to go through the moisture first.

This not only raises the humidity, but the water droplet count.

Sometimes you just have to let the T go though, too. It's a tough call...

good luck mate
peace
dave

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well, the poor little guy had to be euthanized. he had only one leg survive the debacle, and needless to say a one legged t doesnt have much of a chance. its a shame i had grown to like the lil fella over the last couple months.:(

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lycanthrope
you think maybe with the comparatively small number of pokies that alot of it could be inbreeding? i mean theres no where near the number of pokies out there there are, lets say A. avicularia. maybe its possible the blood lines are limited. obviously its not brother sister crossing because of the whole maturity gap thing. i dunno just a thought.

You hit it right on the head, there. That is an excellent observation, and most likely true. I've thought that myself for some time, now.

Sorry to hear about your formosa...It happens to the best of us :(