Pogo stick

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
Picked up three of these little things today.

Bothrops asper, from Ecuador.

Will take some better pictures tomorrow, just a quick snap of one of the little girls.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Oh how nice. Three little tykes in the house dedicated to murdering you should the opportunity arise.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Maybe a dumb question, or it is a language thingy again, but what does a pogo stick have to do with a snake?

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
Maybe a dumb question, or it is a language thingy again, but what does a pogo stick have to do with a snake?
Haha it's ok :)

Basically people call them pogo sticks, because they go a bit crazy and "jump" around like a person on a pogo stick.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
So awesome! :)

One of the few genera I have adamantly refused to get into.

Haha, yeah a lot of experienced keepers say that. I can't live without this species though, I love them to pieces.

Other Bothrops are ok though, barnetti and brazili for example. Kept both of them, and they're much smaller and generally calmer.

I kept aspers for four years before, but went travelling for a year - had to give them up, as none of my friends were willing to look after my adults lol.

So been on the lookout for them since I got back!

The Snark

Old Timer

Moody face
Nice pic. Had a view of a rattler like that once at about that range. Didn't like it one bit. (Pardon the expression)

Say, how about you posting your set-up and the protocols you have established for containment and anti bite??

The Snark

Old Timer
@Matabuey Avoid bites in the neck area u_u

:kiss:
If you had ever been zapped by these little darlings you'd expand that from your hair to the nail of your little toe. Just think of toasting marshmallows over a campfire, holding them with your bare hand. Only worse.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire

It's quite amusing that this is the result of prompt medical attention from an asper envenomation lol.

He was taken to hospital by helicopter and had antivenom on stand by :bag:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod

It's quite amusing that this is the result of prompt medical attention from an asper envenomation lol.

He was taken to hospital by helicopter and had antivenom on stand by :bag:
Yeah no jokes here :)

Btw stupid question but you need the DWA license for keep those, am I right?

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
Yeah no jokes here :)

Btw stupid question but you need the DWA license for keep those, am I right?
Yeah, well that or a Pet Shop License.
But either in Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland you don't need one, can't remember which.

Last edited:

The Snark

Old Timer

He was taken to hospital by helicopter and had antivenom on stand by
I'd drop the word amusing, coming from the medical world point of view.
Gross anatomy and idiot sensationalism aside, those pictures are classical typical of that kind of venom. It aids the digestive process by predigesting the victim before it is even swallowed. Nothing unusual; a very common event when hematotoxins are involved. Of interest, certain viperadae, the Russells and Saw Scale vipers especially, possess both this type of venom and a neurotoxin. In colder climes it has been noted the hematotoxin predominates, aiding digestion, and in warmer climes around much of central Asia, the neurotoxin is more present as it debilitates prey more quickly.

Either way, their venoms are just plain bad news. Unlike the necrotic effects as from Loxosceles, the tissue damage starts almost instantly and only removing the toxin will arrest the ongoing damage. Very similar to a chemical burn. Anti venoms will only affect the metastasizing of the venom to other parts of the body and that with often minimal effect.

Last edited: