poecilotheria venom!

ornata

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hello

does anyone know a lot of pokie venom, which species that have the post potent venom ect.!?

I have read that it is fasciata and ornata!?

I also wonder about the effects poki venom give to us humans compared to the most lethal scorpions, it seems to me that pokie venom(and other potent tarantulas, like many species within selenocomsmiinae) give us more ill effects then many dangerous scorpions:?

the most potent scorpions are rarly deadly for a healthy adult, and the effects are most of the time just extrem pain and swelling, but when it comes to pokie venom(in some situations) it will give you much worse effects, for a longer time, like muscel cramps!?

I also know that the bite from some australian species( selenocosmia) can kill a medium sized dogg within a hour, or less!?

It seems to me that some tarantulas have very potent venom, but that it is not so very potent on us humans/primates, only....

(sorry about the english)

T-chick

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was tagged by my subadult male Regalis, you can go to the bite reports here on the boards to find out more.
I didn't even know I had been bitten, it was on my shoulder blade area.
I experienced a sore shoulder that ached a little.. for a few days.
That was it. I thought I had simply over used the muscles.
You can find out a lot about bites on the bite report section.

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Definitely go to the bite reports, but even then it's only a rough guideline. All venom affects everyone to a certain level. If you don't know your allergies it's better to error on the safe side... Unless of course if you like going into anaphylactic shock.

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
Haven't been keeping up to date on the subject, but last I checked there were no recorded cases of anaphylactic shock (allergic reaction) from T venom. Something about the proteins (peptides) being too small, or something...

Hopefully a more scientifically inclined member will shed some light... or a better searcher willing to find and link to the most relevant thread on the subject.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes please, I would love to hear more on this. Will be checking bite section in the meantime.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I don't think you're really going to be able to determine a single most potent species of Poecilotheria. Because it will depend on how much you get, and your individual body chemistry. Poecilotheria are probably not even the worst.

As for Australian spp, I can't tell you how bad it is. But Steve Nunn could perhaps shed some light on bites. As for killing a dog? I wouldn't put too much faith into rumors about spider bites, but dogs do seem rather susceptible to tarantula venom.
But I believe what you heard may have been in reference to the Australian Funnel-web spiders.

Also, Scott C. is right, chances of allergic reactions from a tarantula's bite are like nil.

-Sean

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Haven't been keeping up to date on the subject, but last I checked there were no recorded cases of anaphylactic shock (allergic reaction) from T venom. Something about the proteins (peptides) being too small, or something...

Hopefully a more scientifically inclined member will shed some light... or a better searcher willing to find and link to the most relevant thread on the subject.
I read that somewhere too. I think there was a post here that linked to an outside source.

The gist was that almost all venom is made from proteins. Proteins are formed by long amino chains. Tarantula venom however is made from peptides rather than proteins and peptides are formed by much shorter amino chains. Thus the amino chains in this peptide based venom are too small to bond with our histamine and cause an allergic reaction.

That was the general idea behind the report i read but i probably messed something up as i am not educated in biology. I know we have some very highly educated biologists, etc here on this board so perhaps one of them can elaborate.

ctsoth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't think you're really going to be able to determine a single most potent species of Poecilotheria. Because it will depend on how much you get, and your individual body chemistry. Poecilotheria are probably not even the worst.

As for Australian spp, I can't tell you how bad it is. But Steve Nunn could perhaps shed some light on bites. As for killing a dog? I wouldn't put too much faith into rumors about spider bites, but dogs do seem rather susceptible to tarantula venom.
But I believe what you heard may have been in reference to the Australian Funnel-web spiders.

Also, Scott C. is right, chances of allergic reactions from a tarantula's bite are like nil.

-Sean
Australian Tarantula venom can kills dogs and cats within about half an hour. I would provide a link if I knew how to find it. It has been discussed on this board before.

ornata

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

-Sean
no, it wasent funnel web spiders, and for the record, cats and dogs almost doesent react toward the venom from the sydney funnelweb spider, that can be deadly toward us humans..but I dont know about the other funnel web spiders in the area!?

It was a program about australian tarantulas, and I think actually that steve nunn was in it, I know who he is:)

I have also read that haplopelma schmidti is beeing called cow tipper by the locals...hmm!

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
and for the record, cats and dogs almost doesent react toward the venom from the sydney funnelweb spider, that can be deadly toward us humans..
Yes, but its still a common rumor.

Australian Tarantula venom can kills dogs and cats within about half an hour. I would provide a link if I knew how to find it. It has been discussed on this board before.
I'd love to see a thread on this. Dogs I understand, (as I said in my post) but cats, I don't buy it.

-Sean