Poecilotheria sp. - Carapace Identification

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: Poecilotheria sp. - Carapace indetification

Originally posted by Phalagorn
I can delete hanumavilasum from the carapace-id, and waith for publish. I think that hanumavilasum is synonymous with kirki/peterkirki/hillyardi, I have lots of pictures of these species on my computer and they all look the same, both the dorsal and ventral-side of the newfound species.

/Stefan "Phalagorn" Bergström...
"Hanumavilasum" is indeed the same spider that Andrew Smith had originally intended to name after Peter Kirk (hence, "kirki" or "peterkirki"). According to what Andrew wrote on the BTS site, Peter respectfully declined having this species bear his name out of deference to the "holy site" where it is found.

Quite frankly, I am still astonished that these proposed names circulate prior to publication.

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
Could you post 2 picyures of your Poecilotheria sp. both dorsal and ventral-side? (the whole body of your specimen, please)
Here you go, Phalagorn, sorry this was the best i could with the ventral shot (did I happen to mention this is a poec?)...

Let me know what you think.

Jeff

brgn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Looking at the ventral leg pattern I would say ornata.

Robert

Phalagorn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by jcohen9999
Here you go, Phalagorn, sorry this was the best i could with the ventral shot (did I happen to mention this is a poec?)...

Let me know what you think.

Jeff
It´s definitely a Poecilotheria ornata!

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
Yeah...I thought so. Just trying to prove the chart you presented.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Jeff

tatpaul

Arachnopeon
regalis

i would say its regalis as it is exactly the same as mine. one of the most beautiful tarantulas commonly available i think. got her from British Tarantula Society show back in 2001. :)

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
tatpaul said:
i would say its regalis as it is exactly the same as mine. one of the most beautiful tarantulas commonly available i think. got her from British Tarantula Society show back in 2001. :)
It isn't a regalis, that is an ornata.

tatpaul

Arachnopeon
poeciletheria mistake.

:? oh sorry, my message was in responce to the 3rd to last post on page 1, i,m new here and thought my post would appear where i meant it to be.i do have a regalis and i do know what they look like, sorry again for my mistake.

Last edited:

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks Martin. I didn't have a link to the acutal background page, just the image :worship:

brachy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hy all
Martin this second link where are legs of poecilotheria is Xtremly. Thank you:worship:

T. Junkie1

Arachnopeon
That's great info. Phalagorn thx. Also, I was wondering if someone could take a look at the pics of my P. regalis I posted in the Poecilotheria photos section and maybe give me thier thoughts on the sex of this little guy/girl. I would really appreciate it as this is an area I seem to really strugle with.

Last edited:

TheDarkness

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Last edited:

wolfpak

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
what about identification via the opthisoma markings/pattern? is there such?