Poecilotheria rufilata, ventral shot, now...with scale!

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
I want you to know that you and your photos single-handedly inspired me to acquire 3 P. rufilata a while back. (And how I hope at least one will be female!) They're growing like weeds, although my ornata are outdoing them at this point.

Joy

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
hi, Joy...

why, thank you, Joy. Sometimes I feel like I praise them too much. ...can't help it, they're my favorite tarantula :)
How big are yours, currently? I've seen many growth rates. Some are 4", while this one, from the same sac, is only 1".
I hope too, that you end up with a female. They get amazingly large. Some might say that P. ornata are the largest of the genus, but many more agree that P. rufilata, are. I've had some pretty big ornata, but I have to say, I've never seen one bigger than some P. rufilata.
I paired up an aging male and a female, last night.
The male was courting and the female was not. Bad sign. When I checked on him this morning, he was intact and alive, but sans leg II on the right.
I'd hate to see this guy go, as he was one of the babies my 1st female produced in 2000.
john

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Re: hi, Joy...

Originally posted by LaRiz
why, thank you, Joy. Sometimes I feel like I praise them too much. ...can't help it, they're my favorite tarantula :)
How big are yours, currently? I've seen many growth rates. Some are 4", while this one, from the same sac, is only 1".
I hope too, that you end up with a female.

They're all around 3", but one has a decidedly heavier build than the other two. Here's hoping!

They get amazingly large. Some might say that P. ornata are the largest of the genus, but many more agree that P. rufilata, are. I've had some pretty big ornata, but I have to say, I've never seen one bigger than some P. rufilata.
I paired up an aging male and a female, last night.
The male was courting and the female was not. Bad sign. When I checked on him this morning, he was intact and alive, but sans leg II on the right.
I'd hate to see this guy go, as he was one of the babies my 1st female produced in 2000.
john
Good luck to you, and I'm glad the damage was no worse. May he live to mate another day!

Joy