Poecilotheria rufilata sling

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Wow, 6 1/2" is damn large for a 6 month old spider!!

Dennis

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Originally posted by dennie
Wow, 6 1/2" is damn large for a 6 month old spider!!

Dennis
I think so too though I suppose if you powerfeed, that's not entirely impossible. My own rufilata I bought last year in February. I've had it over a year now and it was 2 inches. Since it's hard to see all of it at once (it likes to hide), I'm going to figure it is 4 to 4.5 inches in leg span now. (That is calculating it from the tip of one of the front legs to the tip of one of the back legs). It's probably getting close to time to move it to a larger container, though we will probably be moving within the next 2 or 3 months so I may wait until then. (It's in a small kritter keeper right now).

Wysi

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I do powerfeed them.
I bought my first female a 1" in late December, so I'm just figuring it to be that old. My second has grown at an even faster rate, but at the last instar she wasn't feeding as much.

John and Matt at e-spiderworld told me that the rufilata is the slowest growing (by far) of the pokies. So, I guess it would explain a little.

My P. ornata's are growing even faster than my P. regalis's. Not molting as often I don't feed them as much, but grow more per molt. I've had them since 2/03 and they were only 1 3/4" they are already 5 1/2".

I would say a P. ornata grows faster than any T (even a blondi). P. cambridgei's grow like weeds too.
Jim B.

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Originally posted by Palespider
I do powerfeed them.
I bought my first female a 1" in late December, so I'm just figuring it to be that old. My second has grown at an even faster rate, but at the last instar she wasn't feeding as much.

John and Matt at e-spiderworld told me that the rufilata is the slowest growing (by far) of the pokies. So, I guess it would explain a little.

My P. ornata's are growing even faster than my P. regalis's. Not molting as often I don't feed them as much, but grow more per molt. I've had them since 2/03 and they were only 1 3/4" they are already 5 1/2".

I would say a P. ornata grows faster than any T (even a blondi). P. cambridgei's grow like weeds too.
Jim B.
Yeah, I would say my P. ornata was growing fast. It seemed like every time I turned around, it had molted again. It was up to about 4 - 4.5 inches when I traded it away with a few other critters to cut down my numbers and to acquire another B. smithi female. You can never have too many B. smithi's!!! :)

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Actually... it is 6 months old. It was hatched less than a month before I recieved it, and it was recieved 12/14/02.

I definately do not powerfeed.

-V

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Re: ><

Originally posted by Vayu Son
Actually... it is 6 months old. It was hatched less than a month before I recieved it, and it was recieved 12/14/02.

I definately do not powerfeed.

-V
So how much do you actually feed it and how often? (Better yet, it would probably make more sense to ask the question of the previous owner. Maybe YOU don't powerfeed, but maybe the previous owner did. On the other hand, you may find you've got a big male on your hands and it probably won't be long before he matures and you're out looking for a lady for him. ;)

Wysi

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I actually sexed them both wrong from looking at the underside. Upon their last molt they were both found to be female :)

Jim B.

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Re: ><

Originally posted by Vayu Son
i dont feed so often... mines the small one remember ;)

-V
TRUE! I guess I just got confused with all these posts! I should have been asking the question of the guy who said he's got the 6 inch critter less than I a year old. (Or maybe I did? I forgot).

:?

It's been a LONGGGGGGGG day! :)

Wysi