Poecilotheria rufilata questions

tony77tony77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey guys, I have a 7" female P. Rufilata, got her about 3 months ago and she just molted about 3 weeks ago. How long will she wait to eat again? At that size will she able to breed? Thanks guys!!!

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not sure on the breeding but I'd go ahead and try to give her a cricket and tomorrow, if it's still in there, take it out and try again every few days until she does eat.

Johnny_27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Shes good for a breeding attempt. Just make sure you get her well fed first.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
7" is plenty for a try at breeding her. You need to feed her well first so that she does not want to eat the male out of hunger. With this species you can leave the male in the tank with her for a long long time. I have mated this species once, ( I never got a sac ) but the male I got was on his last leg anyway.
She might take food now if its been 3 weeks. Just offer something every now and then and if she does not take the item within a few hours remove it and try again another day.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Size has nothing to do with if any T is too old to breed. It all depends on how the male is acting. Is he still going strong or is his life winding down? That's the question.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Well really, if its a mature male, he can mate, but eventually they reach a point where they get kind of slow, start to lose appendages, and sometimes just cant get it right with the female.

-Sean

tony77tony77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
she still havent eaten anything yet...been a over a month now also she moving slow not as fast as she were before. kind of worry about her, is she dying or is she still recovering from the last molt? :confused: :confused:

mcy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
doesn't sound good no reason for her to still be feeling effects a month after molt i would think at 3 weeks it would be ready to munch again

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
my regalis waited like 6 weeks before eating again at that size. so give her some more time and offer her food every few days. does she have enough water?

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Alot of good facts and tips where posted so here's my 2 cents:

Fact: Size technically doesn't matter when it comes to tarantulas being able to be bred. It more of a common sense scenerio. (Like trying to mate a 7" male with a 2" female :rolleyes:. I personally think that would not work)

Scenerio 1: If the male is too small when he matures compared to the female he might not have the strength to lift her to make insertion or escape a non receptive female and will likely become a meal rather than a mate. The above is true for the female but, is highly unlikely

Scenerio 2: If the female is bred at a small size, she will probably molt before an eggsac can be made and will likely need to be bred again because she would have shed any stored sperm she obtained prior to the molt.

To answer your question about breeding: I would try and locate a freshly mature male and try to breed her. At 7" she shouldn't have any problems mating IME.

Brian