Poecilotheria rajaei sp. nov.

Speg

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
just watched a video on yahoo.......of course, when i went back to link it, the stories rotated, and can no longer find it.

no more info than what is available here, but it was a vid.
I just posted that video from yahoo in the general discussion.

Palinda

Arachnopeon
Ha haa good one!!!!
several questions here. true that the Locals kill of fear, and that's one reason we do workshops and environmental education programs. Beyond that, I have no way of protecting. I have paid and rescued few by my own and released them to the same area away from human settlement. yet its way too hard, as they rarely inform that they get a tarantula indoors.
the second one "I've read about areas where whole groups of Poecilotheria have been wiped because an area was clear cut" I agree (to some extent), but cant help, as one way development in Nothern Sri Lanka is happening at a faster rate than my speed. may be you all can make a say in general to raise voice against clearing forest which will be bigger than me myself and my group (Spider Conservation Unit Sri Lanka).

how can I afford one species to be taken?
sure i would "hypothetically" like to send a pair of spiders to a highly capable organization to rare them and get offspring and distribute those offspring around the globe (I personally would like this idea, if the rest will be saved and preserved in their eco-system). yet how can I get reassurance that this pair is the only pair that leaves the country. And secondly how can I be sure that someone would not smuggle another specimen and another, and another and another.... till it brings total destruction to the whole species....

therefore considered, its vital, rather crucial to stop the first person that smuggles (and let no one leave the country with the spider).
and personally, and kindly request, not to try smuggle at least in dreams. if caught, anyone (regardless of status or social rank) would be treated as a serious offender, violating Sri Lankan wildlife law (providing mass media attention with word wide spread - that this person was caught smuggling or tried to "illegally" take a specimen out of the country). that's all I could afford being me...

PS: Im not against pet trade, but Sri Lanka do not facilitate rearing such animals by law neither have a policy of trade.

so sorry people
you might be wondering why I'm so much of an extremist on this. what to do, that's what I conserve :)
no hard feelings...

Entomancer

Arachnobaron
http://news.mongabay.com/2013/0404-hance-tiger-spider.html

Apparently the wild population is already in terrible shape. :C

Hopefully the captive breeding of this species will help keep them around until the deforestation stops. Same with P. metallica; unless I've been listening to the wrong sources, nobody's really set up any kind of serious breeding program to help endangered spiders.

Palinda

Arachnopeon
its not CR in category for sure :) I saw this post and it makes huge attention (which is good and bad both). if people see CR category for an animal they tend to be concerned ~ which is good! and the bad side of this is: an imposed threat level means a documentation of a global awareness (which is a serious concern to be given). if not sampled correctly and documented with evidence, this is a huge mistake! and its not good to gain attention by promoting something wrong or not completed. as for what I have been doing and according to the sampling I carried out for my B.Sc (in 2011-2012), I know that the population is somewhat distributed in a broader area and are well (even the deforestation at some areas are at an alarming rate).
I classified NT or DD as my sampling was restricted to one area with 40 KM of a radius at the maximum. from that data, it had a thereat by developmental activities and yet it survived in some areas. so this was considered a possible NT (in for future) but not an increased level than that. we don't really know the story (there are so many mine fields that are right next to my sampling area) which is ample and with extremely similar temperature, humidity and tree preferential of the species. and as its a mine field where 99% human access, usage and activities are restricted (except a psyco like me go ans sample avoiding the life thereat). Don't tell my mum that i was there ok!

I should say that none of the known Sri Lankan Spiders are in the CR level (as I believe the only organism that was supposed to be in this category was Poecilotheria smithi). However, that species also has adult individuals of mote than 10 in wild (and has broader distribution than we anticipated). the widest distance between two species (if plotted a straight line) was more than 6KM. it took more than 5 months of sampling to find, but worth the effort! therefore it is not CR for me(2013 data)...
and sorry I do not categorise any species in the CR level if I could find more than 7 animals (personal consideration). if I can find; obviously there are more species in wild.

one problem is that we cannot obtain permits for captive breed.
and its not necessary, as long as we don't do a correct sample and asses population density (imagine we do bread and release a population that is already higher than population viability ~ this might cause even lack of food leading to starvation and rapid decline and many more issues) its not good to think of captive breeding.

Petross

Tarantulaholic
Arachnosupporter
Looks to me like a young not full coloured P.regalis or subscpecies of P.regalis from Sri lanka , which is not so rich in colour, even a ventral marks on legs and the white band is same
http://www.ibtimes.com/face-sized-t...aei-discovered-sri-lanka-photos-video-1172131
But is a really good news for tarantula delears, because in a few months they can sell you a not so nice P.regalis for hundreds dollars for 1instar.

Last edited:

rodillablanco

Arachnopeon
I nabbed a Pic

I grabbed it off MSN. I thought we should have a Pic. of it here.
Personally, I think it will show up in the hobby and it will be a good thing. How many P. mettallicas are there here as opposed to in the wild. Eventually, re-population will occur. Along with education.

Last edited by a moderator:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
you might be wondering why I'm so much of an extremist on this. what to do, that's what I conserve
Do you really conserve, or do you just stop exports? There's a huge difference between the two. Very few Poecilotheria have been collected from the wild, and those few that have been, were the start of many thousands of captive bred and raised spiderlings. That in turn has taken away almost all of the motive for smuggling them. Meanwhile, by far the greatest loss is from habitat destruction, and hundreds, even thousands of Poeclitheria are killed that way every year, pointlessly. There's no consistency in the logic. Why not put your efforts into saving doomed animals in areas being developed? Organize local conservationists and volunteers. Rescue some of those poor spiders. You'd save far more than you ever possibly could thru any anti-smuggling efforts. You're worried about a handful being taken out of the country to be captive bred, while the species are going extinct due to local development. Are symbolic gestures more important than results? There won't be any left to smuggle out unless you get involved at a local level and do something that really makes a difference. It gets down to do you truly care about the animal's survival.

petkokc

Arachnosquire
I'm sorry for bumping old thread but I think that's better then starting a new one.
I wasn't been able to find any fresh info on this sp. Whats the status? Did any breeding programs start? Are they still out of hobby?

Mojo288

Arachnoknight
I didnt think any got exported from Sri Lanka :-/
As far as i know they haven't, all i have been able to find were some FB posts from some dude in Sri Lanka and a few other posts dated at least 3-4 years back all talking about conservation and reasons not to export (not that i agree).

A guy can dream though....

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Reading through the thread, we're not missing much.

Another regalis looking thing. Still wouldn't mind having it tho.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Who cares, anyone who pays top dollar for these is a fool. It’s basiclly a population of regalis living on Sri Lanka.

Later, Tom.

McSP1D8R

Arachnopeon
Who cares, anyone who pays top dollar for these is a fool. It’s basiclly a population of regalis living on Sri Lanka.

Later, Tom.
You know what some people are like for "must haves" though lol..