Poecilotheria ornata (gynandromoph)

Triggerman73

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i could be wrong, but in the original post, are the two photos of male and female photoshopped? it looks like you took the lighter side and flipped it like a mirror image and did the same with the dull side...maybe youre just showing what it would look like if it was not a gynandromorph, but, im just sayin'

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
i could be wrong, but in the original post, are the two photos of male and female photoshopped? it looks like you took the lighter side and flipped it like a mirror image and did the same with the dull side...maybe youre just showing what it would look like if it was not a gynandromorph, but, im just sayin'
That's the point. He separated and flipped each side to show the color difference better.

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Very interesting.
Has anyone had one of these for a long period of time?
I'm wondering if it will hook out with one or two pedipalps?
Could it load itself with sperm? Would it know to try this?
Would it only half die after the ultimate molt?

So many questions....

Eggy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
have just spoken to Phalagorn. He has not yet been able to sex it by a molt. The speciment belongs to a friend of him, and Phalagorn thinks it died before he could get a molt.

The pic are of the actual speciment, the pic in mirror mode is to show what each gender looks like.

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
holy two-face, batman!

beautiful stuff! i really wish i knew the biological mechanism of this (genetics and cell biology student here) and how they achieve such a perfect asymmetry right down the body! thanks for the information! *dives into research*

Last edited:

SeventyThree

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just want to resurrect this thread as I have a friend I was telling this about, but the original pictures are gone so I can't show him. If anyone has saved pictures of the OP's photos, or can get him to reload them it would be much appreicated!

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow...insane and fascinating. I'd be very curious to see a good photo of a molt; would it only have a half-developed spermathecae?