Poec bites - must read!

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Re: dangerous pencils...

Originally posted by Phillip
Yes the pencil through the eye statement is a good one but see that's where the problem comes in. No one tries to warn you of the hazards of pencil ownership
Phil
Your obviously not from the USA. In the USA every mother warns their kid of the danger of the pencil. You'll poke your eye out!

No mother in the USA tells their kid, be careful with pokies, they're fast, they have fangs, and a venom that can kick your a$$ for weeks.

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i see all the valid points, and here's my opinion:

what if the T community did tone down things...and then someone comes along, let's say a normal person trying to get over arachnophobia and has a really bad reaction to a T bite let's say.

and then, no information that T being 'medically significant' was available. i think that would be far, far worse than saying, well, this COULD happen, but this is the worst it would be. however, you should be both aware and prepared for it if you're going to own one.

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
From what I have seen, all of the on-line dealers have some kind of code or symbol to signify agressive and/of venomous tarantulas and other creatures.

I would feel safer that my kids were buying a T on-line than from a pet shop. I have seen T's at pet shops that were mis-identified and turned out to be an aggressive T instead of a doscile one.

I know this isn't the subject, but what it comes down to is education and respect. It is my choice to have any T I want, but it is also my own deal if I get bit. I would hope that people do their homework before they buy, I know before I buy what I am getting myself into.

It also depends on the individual creature. One P. fasciata is going to be different than the next in it's own way. I have an adult P. formosa and I do have alot of respect for it, it is a beautiful T and thats why I wanted it.

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
you make an excellent point. online dealers sometimes even have caresheets or at least links posted whereas pet stores can be woefully uninformed.

the same happens with reptiles too amazingly still, especially some snakes.

it's a real pity. yeah, i want the freedom to purchase whatever i want, but i also want to know all the facts about the animal first. that way, i know exactly what i'm getting into and at that point it's my responsibility. :)

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
well yeah

Phillips argument makes me look at it in a good way . I belive he's right about things but still wouldn't risk having one with kids in my house. I really love pokies I do and I'm planing to have one soon and yeah every one should be responsible for keeping you precious pets and looking after them if you want no accidents to happen and if they do happen well you know what they say poop happens. well any ways have a nice day
geo

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by SpiderTwin

I know this isn't the subject, but what it comes down to is education and respect. It is my choice to have any T I want, but it is also my own deal if I get bit.

Its not your right to have any T you want if you are a danger to yourself or others. If you get bit by a pokie and go to the emergency room, as well you should when your arm feels like its on fire, it becomes a PR nightmare for all T owners.

In the largest city in the USA T's are banned! Can it happen in other cities? YES!

Having a pokie is a RESPONSIBILITY. If you don't meet the demands of that responsibility, everyone can suffer.

Peace and love.

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

I do not believe T's are banned anywhere. Nor that anything will be taking toll on our collections. People have died from widow bites, I have not had any legal troubles or bad reactions from people who knew I was raising and playing with them.

-V

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Re: ><

Originally posted by Vayu Son
I do not believe T's are banned anywhere. Nor that anything will be taking toll on our collections. People have died from widow bites, I have not had any legal troubles or bad reactions from people who knew I was raising and playing with them.

-V
Yes but that is a native spider to many U.S. states. how can they ban it ? I agree with professor T..and think if they banned prarie dogs they could do the same with T's. Then the hobby is screwed and the dealers too. Thats what I was trying to say in earlier posts. But someone made it into a legal battle ....

Alias

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sorry for offtopic, but could you please give me short info about who, where and why banned prairie dogs?? :?

TheSpiderHouse

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Re: ><

Originally posted by Vayu Son

-V
Hi Vayu Son. Unfortunately, they are banned in some places. There is at least an entire county (and i believe several cities, but can't back that up- just have heard it from local stores that question where you live before purchasing a T) here in VA that has them banned. Banned is a tricky thing though... banned means no stores in the county can sell them. As long as you keep it quiet, nothing but morals will you from going to the next county (or online) and buying what you want. However, if officials were informed you had them in your house, they could require you to get rid of them. I think its a huge load of dung to ban them, but I know more about them than politicians.. and I don't stand to gain from their banning them, like politicians could.

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Alias
sorry for offtopic, but could you please give me short info about who, where and why banned prairie dogs?? :?
Im in the U.S. Western Kentucky......To my knowledge they put a federal ban on prarie dogs....Becase a small number carried monkey pox....And since 9-11 there passing crazy laws left and right out of fear...

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have been keeping tarantulas for years, but still do not have a Pokie. It is not because I do not think they are beautiful animals, or because I don't they can be kept safely, but it is because; I know me. I have always been a very hands-on keeper and am always concerned with tank cleaning and watering. I'm certain the level of interactivity with the enclosure/animal would not be a good combination and my risk of being bitten would probably be higher than a number of keepers.
I believe these animals can be kept safely, but it is an owner's responsibility to research the animal and make sure they know the risks. Nobody is responsible for my actions other than me.
Ralph

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
By the way....

By the way Delonigan, do you know what counties in Virginia do not allow T's? The reason I ask is I live in Newport News and when I tried to get a business license to breed tarantulas, they replied that they didn't know if it was even legal to have tarantulas.
Since then, I've put my attempts to get a license on hold for fear that some stupid law banning ownership might be in place.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Ralph

TheSpiderHouse

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey rknralf,
I'm not positive which county/s do not unfortunately. The countie/s I am speaking of are north of Stafford county.. they are up in the northern part of the state. I'm relatively new to the state and don't know many of the county names. I know that staffod county and king george do, but they only have G rosea and A avics in the local shops. I called for a long time throughout the northern part of the state looking for shops with them, and the countie/s above Woodbridge/Dale City couldn't sell them. I had to drive to Maryland to get one of my T. blondis (the rest I bought online.. traffic makes it worth paying the shipping prices). So, I do know its legal to have them in some counties (Stafford and King George and whatever county Woodbridge is in). But also illegal in at least one of the northern couties, and from the amount of phone calls I made I'm fairly sure its illegal in more than one county. Jees, sorry that turned off topic and long.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: Pokies not for everyone

Originally posted by Professor T
Here in the USA dealers that are responsible, list their pokies as having venom that is medically significant, not fatal. In Sweden you probably remain neutral on venom that can make you sick for weeks. Its a cultural difference, maybe semantics, but I know they're not fatal. Jabbing a pencil through your eye isn't fatal, but is medically significant.
If you stab someones eye with a pencil you could kill him.
A bit more serious then pain.

/Lelle

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sure can...

Depending of course how deep you stab. :) Also forgot to mention I think the lethality rating is higher with the dreaded number 2. lol Or even worse the old school actual lead pencil. And who can forget the evil device known as the protractor.

Phil