PO’d H. pulchripes (Is This Venom?)

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Pretty sure what I’m seeing is venom, it’s a clear liquid ball and fangs appear normal with no other noticeable areas of concern. Am I correct that this is venom? Is it possible I pissed off something more than @viper69 ??? 😂

I rehoused my sling about an hour ago. I started off in a good mood, this little one started off with a threat pose. Clearly not a match made in heaven tonight. I tilted the old enclosure on the substraight of the new one and used a paint brush to nudge it into the new home. After rehousing the obt I noticed the clear liquid on the H. pulchripes. It hasn’t moved from the spot so it’s not water.

70FE7BD1-44C3-4E79-AF63-C7360BD688ED.jpeg

Craig73

Arachnoangel
So I have a COVID aware T. I don’t even use that much product to clean. Well glad it’s not venom. It was my first ow rehouse so didn’t need that baggage.

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
Watched my A. Seemanni grooming itself the other night spewing a weird clear viscous fluid and rubbing it all over itself. Obviously grooming fluid. Weird, gross, and fascinating to watch. Lol

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
@Craig73 It has moved and is grooming for you. Clearly this T is looking for a long term commitment from you.
You made me nervous for a moment. I'm going to rehouse my H. pulchripes and two O.B.T. later this evening.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
@Craig73 It has moved and is grooming for you. Clearly this T is looking for a long term commitment from you.
You made me nervous for a moment. I'm going to rehouse my H. pulchripes and two O.B.T. later this evening.
Do me proud with those rehouses. Pics or you didn’t make it out alive and we send in the recovery team...for the Ts😂

Apparently it did not appreciate a tap on the butt, I thought I had the moves like Jagger. It was feisty and having no part of the party. I totally expected this one to bolt, not test my manhood. The obt was not bad in comparison. First ow rehousings and I think it went fairly well.

First two are the H. pulchripes and second is the obt, used drift wood so it’s got lots of space to build an underground bunker in there. Probably gonna regret that later and probably could have used more sub 🔥, but not final homes and should grow into them fairly quickly I‘m hoping.

8AA65034-B9AE-4AE4-BF75-AA4E3D4DFA6B.jpeg 23A20E97-02DF-406A-BCFE-14120A371B81.jpeg D400879A-6957-496C-A25B-26EEA1A05FCF.jpeg

dman13760

Arachnosquire
It's digestive fluid, they use it for grooming
I never knew that grooming fluid came from their digestive system. Do you happen to know if it is simply an excretion from the stomach, or is the grooming fluid unique/specialized in any way?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I never knew that grooming fluid came from their digestive system. Do you happen to know if it is simply an excretion from the stomach, or is the grooming fluid unique/specialized in any way?
It's the same enzymes/etc. they secrete onto prey to break it down and consume it (as far as I'm aware, tarantula venom plays little to no part in digestion, smaller prey items are often killed by the sheer trauma of being stabbed by fangs and crushed between cheliceral teeth, venom is saved for larger prey items or threats that are more difficult to subdue), only in this case it's being used to break down and remove any crap that has accumulated on the exoskeleton of the tarantula which might impair the functions of tactile setae/chemoreceptive setae/external organs.

Also, I wish people would stop calling it "grooming fluid" like they produce a separate fluid specifically for that purpose.