Pleasing and forked fungus beetle care

Bugnfish

Arachnopeon
I recently found 16 Pleasing Fungus Beetles Megalodacne fasciata and one male and four female Forked Fungus Beetles Bolitotherus cornutus on a shelf fungus in NJ, and do not know exact care or breeding for them. I know pleasing fungus beetles are sold at http://www.snakeguys.com/merker/Hatarihome.htm, so they are keepable. They are currently in a small tank with the fungus they were on; should this be wet or dry? There are signs of the beetles eating, but none of breeding. If you have any information, please respond.

bugboy3092

Arachnopeon
image.jpeg I don't know much about pleasing fungus beetles, but horned fungus beetles should have their fungus wet, it also depends on what season it is. Some times they will wait until the fungus actually starts rotting before eating or breeding in it. If you start seeing blister like capsules on the fungus that are brown, oval, and semi rough, then they are laying eggs. They should be kept in a Tupperware/ deli cup with semi restricted air flow, this prevents them from constant drying which can kill them. They should have a wood substrate, frass, rotting oak sawdust, or any kind of rotting wood sawdust (besides pine, they can't have pine) will be fine. Here's a photo of my setup, without the lid on.

davehuth

Arachnoknight
Such a relief to discover this ancient thread with helpful information. I want to try breeding Bolitotherus cornutus this year and had no idea where even to begin!