Please, I MUST identify this T

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Could you tell me what is it?

It comes from Chaco (Argentina)

It's an adult female, about 6 inches (15-16 cm) legspan.

Thanks in advance,
Bothrops

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Well, I'm kinda thinking what it's not - Brachypelma vagans. The carpace doesn't look oval enough. But that's closer a guess than fact, I have no all too good clue yet of how much difference there can be found between individuals.

That is dirt on the T, right?

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, I'm kinda thinking what it's not - Brachypelma vagans. The carpace doesn't look oval enough. But that's closer a guess than fact, I have no all too good clue yet of how much difference there can be found between individuals.

That is dirt on the T, right?
Thanks for guessing. Obviously isn't B. vagans. There isn't any Brachypelma in Argentina :D

There isn't dirt on the T, it's like you're seeing it. It's a WC, and I guess it's an OLD female (she put an eggsac and hatched successfully).

Cheers,
Bothrops

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Only a guess but i would think A. chacoana is very possable.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, that's my guess too, but I'm not that sure... :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Bothrops
Hmmmm idk, but isn't the Grammostola acteon from Brazil and Uruguay area, if you are sure your T is from argentina perhaps it's a Grammostola inermis aka the Argentina Smoke brown. Dark brown with red highlights is the description of a G inermis and it's from Argentina perhaps we are onto something. What about a Grammostola iheringi aka the Entre Rios although I don't think that species is confirmed coming from Argentina as they are Brazilian. I'm digging the Acanthoscurria chacoana guess as well, looks like it might be it.

Last edited:

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmmmm idk, but isn't the Grammostola acteon from Brazil and Uruguay area, if you are sure your T is from argentina perhaps it's a Grammostola inermis aka the Argentina Smoke brown. Dark brown with red highlights is the description of a G inermis and it's from Argentina perhaps we are onto something. What about a Grammostola iheringi aka the Entre Rios although I don't think that species is confirmed coming from Argentina as they are Brazilian.
It was caught by a friend about three months ago. That was in Chaco province (Argentina).

Grammostola iheringi comes from Brazil and Uruguay, but the common name "Entre Rios" tell me that it also could be present in the limit with Uruguay (in Argentina there is a province named "Entre Rios".

I don't know the species Grammostola inermis, so I don't know if it could be that.

Thanks for guessing!
Bothrops

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, I asked to a prestigious person from here that knows a lot of theraphosids, and told me that it could be an Acanthoscurria sternalis or Acanthoscurria chacoana. I've had two adult females A. sternalis and they didn't seem too much with this specimen. He needs a photo from the sternum and if I could get a molt it would be nice too (although I have to wait until that, and it could take months).

Anyways, you can keep guessing :cool:

Last edited:

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello!

Looking this tarantula it is not Grammostola as well as not Brachypelma (no looking the locality).
This is most possibly Acanthoscurria spp. and is already told - most possibly A. chacoana indeed.

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello!

Looking this tarantula it is not Grammostola as well as not Brachypelma (no looking the locality).
This is most possibly Acanthoscurria spp. and is already told - most possibly A. chacoana indeed.
Yes, it doesn't seem like the A. sternalis that I've had, so I think that it's an Acanthoscurria chacoana. Do large spiderlings/juveniles show that 'red rump'? If so, I could know it when they do some molts.

ha no. If it is G. actaeon then I'm santa.
LOL :D

Yes, I was very wrong too, I didn't think about A. chacoana and the first thought in my mind when I saw that T was: "G. actaeon!" :wall:

Thanks a lot ppl!

Cheers,
Bothrops