Please help on my first pokie!

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Ladies and Gents

Ok...so I am wanting to step into my first pokie and am doing my due diligence.

I have searched lots of threads but most of them are a little old, so I just wanted to get some more, perhaps updated or recent, thoughts on some Pokies.

Anyways, I have never owned a pokie, and the closest thing I've owned that's similar is a 3" P irminia.

That said, I don't plan on handling or anything like that, but I'd appreciate a more mellow temper.

I wanted to get your' comparisons between the standard Pokie (regalis) and another possible favorite of mine, the rufliata.

What I'm hoping to get is this:

1) Beauty. By this I mean not just real life coloration (what they look like without a flashlight pointed on them) AND how often I'll see them. H lividums are awesome...but not really since you can't see them. See what I mean by beauty?

2) I am not expecting my A metallica's temperament with any pokie. But I'd prefer something that won't jump on me and bite me if I go in for a little maintenance. I'm also fond of tong feeding. :)

3) Anything else you'd share with your' experience that you think may apply to somebody that is, if you'll forgive the crude term, a pokie virgin. :)

Thanks much. I'll probably order next month I think.

PS: If you have some juvie girls of the two mentioned species perhaps a trade could be arranged? PM me if interested.

mickey66

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pokies

I would get a P.Regalis for your first Pokie.....they are super fast.....they teleport.....don't corner them trying to handle them in fact DON'T Handle Them!:embarrassed: No matter how cool it looks on youtube.

Last edited:

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Most certainly do not plan to handle them. Some of the different varieties are pretty reclusive. IMO P.metallica, tigrinaweselli, subfusca, miranda, rufilata are the worst at running for cover. My P.regalis, pederseni, ornata and to some extent formosa are out often enough to actually view them. I'm sure alot of this has to do with different set-ups as well. I personally think my female Poecilotheria ornata's are some of the most beautiful tarantulas in my entire collection and you can find them for very little $$. P.regalis, as mentioned in a previous post, is also a very striking specimen. Once you own one, you'll end up with more. {D Diane

SDiego

Arachnosquire
I asked a similar question a while back concerning getting a P. sling. Most people suggested raising a Regalis sling. The reasons were the Regalis is hardy, easy to raise and is more tolerable of humidity issues; Regalis is reasonably priced; and they look really really cool. So a P. Regalis would be my vote.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My P. rufilata is out most of the time as well as my P. miranda, the only Pokie of mine that I never see is my P. metallica. I do not own a regalis, maybe one day but they aren't exactly on the top of my list. My first Pokie was the P. rufilata and I do not regret it one bit. Pokies are not the monsters people make them out to be, just do not handle and be aware of where they are in the enclosure when you do maintenance and you will be fine.

blooms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I started with the regalis and now have all but the smithi and tigrinawesseli. With the P. regalis you really can't go wrong. Mine's out all the time and she's a good eater. She's quite chilled out usually. Concerning her biting you, calmly shake the cage a little before you do maintenance and she should crouch down in her hiding position. Just keep all eyes on her when doing anything in the cage and definitely don't touch her in anyway and you should be good to go. Oh and you eventually will have them all. It's more addictive than eating lay's potato chips (and I'm talking salt n vinegar here).