Please help need advice on borneo blood python

susannwv

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, Please help..for anyone that owns or has owened a borneo blood please tell me how often they actually have a normal bowel movement with the hard black stool. I have had mine for a month now and it eats a small rat once a week which is an appropriate size for the size snake but has yet to poop. I have even soaked her several times. She has no hard lumps that would suggest being impacted. The only thing that has ever come out of her is pee and the uric acid ball and that only happens when I hold her and when I soak her. Is this normal or shoud I have already seen the actual poop? Sorry for having such a nasty question but Im worried and the will not advise over the phone and is booked for the next month. Thanks in advance for any help.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How old and how large is your blood? It should be eating rats...I'm almost afraid the mice actually are too small. That's why I ask.

This is normal. But, do not overfeed between defecations! This is how prolapses occur! I would not feed her again untill she defecates.

susannwv

Arachnopeon
Hey thanks guys. She is 2 ft long and I was told she was 2 yrs old which that Im not to sure on. She is not eating mice which I do believe that is what she was being fed before I got her because she was a little under weight by the look of her back bone. She has since fattened up. I feed her small rats. I do see a bulge after she eats and then after about a day the bulge is gone. As long as this is normal I wont worry soooo much until I can get her to vet to have a full exam. I got her from a pet store and they had her in a very tiny cage. Not even a 10 gallon tank and she could not even stretch out. I felt bad so thats why I have her. She is however the best snake I have ever had. She is very docile and loves to lay on me(of course that is after she pees on me..lol) Thanks for the replies and anymore are certainly welcomed.

Bengal21

Arachnopeon
How old and how large is your blood? It should be eating rats...I'm almost afraid the mice actually are too small. That's why I ask.

This is normal. But, do not overfeed between defecations! This is how prolapses occur! I would not feed her again untill she defecates.
+1

Your snake will be fine w/o food for a while. I would wait til it defecates before feeding it again. Prolapses in most cases become problematic after the first. Once they have one, they tend to happen over and over again. Again, appropriately sized rats, once you resume feeding, will be healthier and more nutritious for you snake.

JColt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Have her soak in warm water. I use water about the same temperature as the cage (85-90 degrees) and just deep enough so that they can comfortably sit in it. I usually let them soak about 20-30 minutes. Use a container with just a couple air holes drilled in it.

AprilH

Petridish
Old Timer
+1

Your snake will be fine w/o food for a while. I would wait til it defecates before feeding it again. Prolapses in most cases become problematic after the first. Once they have one, they tend to happen over and over again. Again, appropriately sized rats, once you resume feeding, will be healthier and more nutritious for you snake.
It's a Borneo. If you wait for it to poop before feeding it, you might starve the poor thing! As said by others, they can go a long long time between passing stool, and when they do, look out! {D If you don't feel any hard masses (urates or stool) near the tail, I would just keep on feeding as normal. It'll go when it's ready. If it seems like stuff is building up, then I would cut down and do the soaking and other things mentioned. Until then, don't worry! You said she's passing urates fine. It sounds like a completely normal, healthy short tail. :D