(PLEASE HELP) Millipede in the process of dying!

I've just noticed that one of my millipedes are dying, does anyone know how I can help him? I've had him for about 4 months and I really don't want to lose him now!

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I've just noticed that one of my millipedes are dying, does anyone know how I can help him? I've had him for about 4 months and I really don't want to lose him now!
Can you be more specific as to what kind of millipede and what are the symptoms? Sadly, if it truly is dying, there is probably nothing that you can do for it. :( It may not have been anything that you did -- it may be old for its species, some are difficult to keep alive for what reasons we don't know, etc. I know that isn't much consolation and it is truly upsetting to lose a pet regardless of the reason.

However, if your millipede is curled up, not responding much and off-color, it may be merely about to molt, in which case it is actually perfectly fine so long as you leave it alone as it will be VERY vulnerable to injury for some time after molting until its exoskeleton is fully hardened and injuries incurred during this period seem to always be fatal.

Again, more information and even better, a photo, can help us help you ascertain the situation. :)

The millipede is an adult Narceus americanus, his legs are stiff, he doesn't seem to be capable of curling up, the most he can do in terms of curling is moving his body into a C shape, I can't get a photo right now, but I will try to in the morning.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
The millipede is an adult Narceus americanus, his legs are stiff, he doesn't seem to be capable of curling up, the most he can do in terms of curling is moving his body into a C shape, I can't get a photo right now, but I will try to in the morning.
That does not sound good. :( You could make sure that he is hydrated but I fear that he is beyond help. I lost several Narceus americanus in a similar manner and I wish I knew why. In my case, the only reason I can think of is that from July through October, the temperature would often get up to 80F in the apartment and maybe that was too warm for them to tolerate consistently.

I am very sorry for your loss! I don't know how easy it would be for you to acquire another, but I would be happy to send you some pedelings for shipping, if you would like (why my N. americanus pedelings continue to thrive while the adults died is a mystery to me). They are a little more than 4 months old and average 1.5 cm long.

I think I'll just keep him comfortable and give him a good few final hours, it's the least I could do for him. I'll make sure he's hydrated and update you on any further happenings.